Harpenden clinch fifth place
HARPENDEN competed in the Third round of the Hertfordshire Swimming League Major League Division One on Saturday night safe in the knowledge that they could not be relegated and were assured a top six finish in the 12 team league. Up against the County s
HARPENDEN competed in the Third round of the Hertfordshire Swimming League Major League Division One on Saturday night safe in the knowledge that they could not be relegated and were assured a top six finish in the 12 team league.
Up against the County's biggest clubs Hatfield, Bishops Stortford, Hemel Hempstead, Watford and Hoddesdon it would have been easy for the swimmers to sit back and settle for sixth place. However, this was a night when the swimmers decided to show exactly what they are capable of.
This wasn't a night for individuals, although there were still some exceptional performances including a number of second places with Tania de Malglaive taking 1.35 seconds off her 50m backstroke time to record a new PB of 37.15 and even a first place for JJ Dixon in his 100m Freestyle recording a new PB of 1:01:97.
This was a night that showed a tremendous team effort and spirit. This was a night where a three-second PB for Nick Shone in the 100m Breaststroke and a five-second PB for Katy Jackson in her 50m Breaststroke could only net them fifth place such was the quality of the opposition. But the swimmers stuck to the task in hand.
Having returned from their annual training camp at Bath the swimmers were determined to put on a good show against some of the best swimmers in the county. From fairly early on in proceedings they looked likely to improve on their sixth place going into the night and so it proved with the club holding on comfortably to take fifth place beating Hemel Hempstead into sixth by 50 points and only 30 points behind fourth-placed Hoddesdon.
For one of the smallest clubs in the county, and the smallest of the three clubs in St Albans District this was a magnificent result. The club were promoted to Division One three years ago, and have steadily improved their position year on year until now they are in the top six and are the top club in the District.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 4 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 5 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 6 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 7 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 8 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 9 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
- 10 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
If you would like more details about Harpenden Swimming Club, please contact them by phone 07767 683956, email email@example.com, or visit their website www.harpendensc.co.uk