Harpenden clinch fifth place
HARPENDEN competed in the Third round of the Hertfordshire Swimming League Major League Division One on Saturday night safe in the knowledge that they could not be relegated and were assured a top six finish in the 12 team league. Up against the County s
HARPENDEN competed in the Third round of the Hertfordshire Swimming League Major League Division One on Saturday night safe in the knowledge that they could not be relegated and were assured a top six finish in the 12 team league.
Up against the County's biggest clubs Hatfield, Bishops Stortford, Hemel Hempstead, Watford and Hoddesdon it would have been easy for the swimmers to sit back and settle for sixth place. However, this was a night when the swimmers decided to show exactly what they are capable of.
This wasn't a night for individuals, although there were still some exceptional performances including a number of second places with Tania de Malglaive taking 1.35 seconds off her 50m backstroke time to record a new PB of 37.15 and even a first place for JJ Dixon in his 100m Freestyle recording a new PB of 1:01:97.
This was a night that showed a tremendous team effort and spirit. This was a night where a three-second PB for Nick Shone in the 100m Breaststroke and a five-second PB for Katy Jackson in her 50m Breaststroke could only net them fifth place such was the quality of the opposition. But the swimmers stuck to the task in hand.
You may also want to watch:
Having returned from their annual training camp at Bath the swimmers were determined to put on a good show against some of the best swimmers in the county. From fairly early on in proceedings they looked likely to improve on their sixth place going into the night and so it proved with the club holding on comfortably to take fifth place beating Hemel Hempstead into sixth by 50 points and only 30 points behind fourth-placed Hoddesdon.
For one of the smallest clubs in the county, and the smallest of the three clubs in St Albans District this was a magnificent result. The club were promoted to Division One three years ago, and have steadily improved their position year on year until now they are in the top six and are the top club in the District.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
If you would like more details about Harpenden Swimming Club, please contact them by phone 07767 683956, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit their website www.harpendensc.co.uk