Harpenden bowls lose in County final
The ladies and men of Harpenden won the South District of the County League and, in the final stages of the competition, had to play the winners from the North, East and West.
Harpenden men were represented by Noel Roberts, John Osborn, David Brooks, Tom Muir, Woodie Donoghue, Kevin Brazier, Tony Redford, Nick Muir, Rob Newby and John Williams. The competition was held at Garston and Harpenden played against the hosts as winners of the West District in the semi-final. As expected it was a close game but Harpenden came out as winners by five shots.
In the final the men played Buntingford, who had beaten Baldock in the other semi-final. It was, again, another close game but in the end Harpenden lost by six shots.
The ladies semi-final was also against Garston. The lead changed constantly but Garston came out the winners by three shots. Garston went on to win in the final against Sawbridgeworth. This ended the best season in County competitions that Harpenden Bowling Club have had in their long history.
The club finals were held over the weekend, played on the Saturday and Monday. David Brooks was in five finals and won all of them. Noel Roberts, Janet Hubball, Linda Brooks and Lesley Tutt were in three or more, with Barrie Hills, Tony Smith, John Williams, Rob Peppiatt, Tim Dale, Jack Blissett, Steve Pariser, Diana Davies, George Tutt and new member Steve Maynard, all in two finals.
You may also want to watch:
The Ladies’ Championship was a very close match with Janet Hubball winning by one point from Lesley Tutt, 21-20. The Men’s Championship was over rather more quickly with David Brooks beating Tony Redford 21-9.
Harpenden Bowling Club has had an excellent season with over 20 new bowlers, success in numerous competitions and good weather nearly all summer in which to play. The men and women sections are equally matched and development of members is encouraged, as seen in all the different names representing the club at different levels. The green is closed from this weekend and play will only be available again in late April next year.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills