Harpenden Bowling Club well represented at district finals
Harpenden Bowling Club was well represented at the district finals last weekend.
The men’s finals on Saturday saw Simon Burgess, Rick Catchpole, Rob Peppiatt and Tony Smith, in the fours, take an early lead against Potters Bar. However It was clawed back and Harpenden lost by five shots.
Rick, Colin Burgess and Doug Rodger played Bushey in the Triples Final but again an early lead was lost.
The Ladies played on Sunday and Monday. Linda Newby played Mary Banks from Hatfield in the Singles. A very close game throughout, Banks took the three shots needed to win.
In the triples, Jan Holland, Janet Hubball and Dena Roberts made an early lead and continued to score on the way top victory over Hatfield.
You may also want to watch:
The Double rink in the afternoon saw Harpenden and Hatfield playing against each other. The scores were close throughout but one rink finished five shots down and the other rink at two ends to go was also four shots down. So nine shots had to be made up in two ends. The team of Linda Brooks, Jan Holland, Linda Newby and Dena Roberts scored a four followed by a five to even the scores after the last end. The extra end saw the shot bowl change frequently but, with her last bowl, Mary Banks of Hatfield took the Jack through to the back, with an impossible shot for Linda Brooks to recover. So Hatfield won by one shot on the extra end.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public