Harpenden's own finals produce plenty of shocks amid the entertainment
- Credit: HARPENDEN BC
Harpenden Bowling Club's finals produce some big upsets and new champions.
The club were able to put on the full range of 20 finals held over three days with Viv Dale winning the ladies' singles championship and Tom Muir claiming the men's equivalent.
Relative newcomer Geoff Johns, with the club for just two years, won two trophies. He teamed with Steve Pariser to clinch the men’s pairs as well as taking the minor league trophy with victory over another fairly new face, Sandy Bisland, taking part in his first final.
Competition secretary Tony Redford said: “A big thank you to the volunteer umpires, markers, board turners and all other helpers and supporters who contributed to making our finals weekend an enjoyable and successful occasion.
"Special thanks go to Keith and his green gang for preparing such a brilliant surface, to Alison, Lyn, Noel and their helpers for the superb catering and providing us with such magnificent feasts and to Nick and his bar assistants for keeping us well-watered.
"Thanks of course have to go also to president Gordon Burrow, secretary Brian Moores and captain’s Denise Moores and Roy Polley.”
- 1 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 2 In pictures: Harpenden Christmas Carnival makes long-awaited return
- 3 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 8 Saints happy to escape Kent with a point after poor showing at Tonbridge
- 9 Museum lit in orange to highlight gender-based violence
- 10 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans