Harpenden and St Albans bowlers just miss out on qualification with Hertfordshire squad in ‘Twenty20’ of Bowls
- Credit: Archant
Four Harpenden bowlers and three from Greenwood Park in St Albans were selected for the Hertfordshire Short Mat bowling team that just missed out on qualifying for the final.
Harpenden’s quartet of John Taylor, Pauline Taylor, Liz Bradley and Eileen Prior, and the Greenwood trio of Jill Oakes, Audrey Fowler and Brian Fowler were part of a 20-strong county squad who took part in a unique version of the sport.
Short mat is described as the ‘Twenty20’ of the bowls world. It is played on a mat which is just 45 feet long and six feet wide. A 15 inch block across the centre prevents easy shots.
The qualifying round of the Inter County Team Fours competition saw Herts face Buckinghamshire, Suffolk and Surrey.
The games involved four rinks of 12 ends each, with overall aggregate scores deciding the winners.
You may also want to watch:
Herts battled to a 47-40 victory over Buckinghamshire. Prior was part of a quartet who came from being six shots down at the midway point to win 15-10.
However, that was as good as it got for Herts who went on to lose 69-40 to Suffolk and 49-34 to Surrey.
- 1 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 2 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Sustainable St Albans hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Suffolk showed their strength, qualifying as group winners. However, with one win each, shots difference decided the final qualifying place. That went to Surrey.