Hanson nets in cup dress rehearsal
Herts Senior County League Premier Division Bovingdon 1 Park Street Village 1 PETE Hanson scored as Park Street Village claimed a point at Bovingdon on Saturday in the dress rehearsal for the Aubrey Cup Final.
Herts Senior County League Premier Division
Bovingdon 1 Park Street Village 1
PETE Hanson scored as Park Street Village claimed a point at Bovingdon on Saturday in the dress rehearsal for the Aubrey Cup Final.
Park Street fought well and, with striker Matty Newman back at the club, looked to have enough attacking threat to take the points. Newman went close to netting on his return while Bovingdon struck the crossbar at the other end.
In the second half, Andy Ruck and Bruce Hutchison came on for Park Street and helped drive the team forward. The opening goal arrived when Hutchison surged down the left, cutting open the home defence. The ball was cleared out to Andy Cattermole who fed Hanson and he placed a curling shot into the top corner.
Park Street had chances to win the contest but Bovingdon battled back to equalise. Manager Ryan Thompson was not best pleased with the officials for allowing the goal. He said: "It was a dubious goal. There was a foul on one of our players but the referee said he didn't see anything. We then had Andy Murphy through with a defender who has clipped his heel but we got a free kick given against us. That would have been interesting if he had gone through."
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 4 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 7 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 8 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 9 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 10 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
Hutchison and Newman caught the eye with slick performances and Park Street host form side Knebworth at Toulmin Drive on Saturday. Thompson said: "Matt looks sharp. He won't take too many games to get into the swing of it. He is a good outlet. He has a good attitude and is a nightmare to defend against. Bruce came on and livened up the game. He is explosive and was terrorising their right back."
l Park Street Village Reserve team boss Ashley Purser led his side to the Herts Senior County League Reserve Division Two title as they beat Buckhurst Hill 2-0 on Saturday. Andy Findlay and Aaron King scored the goals. Purser has assembled a young squad and won 17 of the 20 fixtures in the division.
First team boss Thompson hailed the achievement. He said: "To win it in our first season in the County League and to only lose one game is a brilliant achievement. They have supplied the first team well and it bodes well for the future.