Hannah Macleod in GB’s Champions Trophy squad but no place for Ellie Watton
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s Hannah Macleod has been selected for Great Britain for the Champions Trophy – but there is no place for clubmate Ellie Watton.
GB head coach Danny Kerry named an 18-strong squad for the event at Lee Valley Hockey Centre, which runs between June 18 and 26.
Macleod, who picked up her 50th cap in the series win against Olympic champions the Netherlands last week, will be hoping GB can go one better than the silver they picked up in 2012, their best finish in the event.
Watton had been included in that squad which won in Amsterdam but misses out here.
Kerry said: “We have selected a complimentary blend of combinations that is adaptable to the differing challenges we will face at the Champions Trophy.
You may also want to watch:
“We have creativity, pace, and assuredness across the lines and we are all looking forward to the opportunity to play again at Lee Valley in the wonderful Olympic legacy venue.
“The Champions Trophy this year will be interesting as I believe all of the teams competing are capable of winning the prestigious trophy. That should make for tight games decided on the finest of margins.”
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Britain start against Argentina, before taking on the Netherlands, New Zealand and USA.
They finish the pool stage of matches with a game against Australia on June 25.
The finals day is scheduled for the following day.
Full squad for Women’s Hockey Champions Trophy:
Giselle Ansley (Surbiton)
Sophie Bray (East Grinstead)
Crista Cullen (No Club)
Alex Danson (Reading)
Maddie Hinch (Holcombe)
Joie Leigh (Clifton)
Kirsty Mackay (East Grinstead)
HANNAH MACLEOD (ST ALBANS)
Shona McCallin (Holcombe)
Lily Owsley (University of Birmingham)
Sam Quek (Holcombe)
Helen Richardson-Walsh (Reading)
Kate Richardson-Walsh (Reading)
Susannah Townsend (Canterbury)
Georgie Twigg (Surbiton)
Laura Unsworth (East Grinstead)
Hollie Webb (Surbiton)
Nicola White (Holcombe)