Hannah Macleod gets 50th cap as GB beat Olympic champions
- Credit: Photo: Simon Parker
St Albans Hockey Club’s Hannah Macleod reached her 50th cap for Great Britain – as World and Olympic champions the Netherlands were beaten 2-1 in Amsterdam.
Macleod, who was a member of the bronze-medal winning side from London 2012, is part of a 20-strong squad, which includes Tangerine clubmate Ellie Watton, playing a two test series.
And with the Champions Trophy in London and then the Rio Olympics both looming large on the horizon, this win puts the GB women in a good position going forward.
Lily Owsley and Helen Richardson-Walsh grabbed the goals in the first half, either side of an equaliser by Kitty Van Male.
Caia van Maasakker struck the crossbar with a penalty corner but GB were able to see out the final minutes of the game inside the Dutch half.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Kerry, Great Britain’s head coach, said: “It was a slightly disjointed but winning performance.
“We can be better with the ball but we were defensively solid which won us the game.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 3 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
“We’re looking forward to 48 hours time when I feel we will have made some good adjustments to our game”
The second test is tomorrow (Thursday).