Hannah Macleod gets 50th cap as GB beat Olympic champions
- Credit: Photo: Simon Parker
St Albans Hockey Club’s Hannah Macleod reached her 50th cap for Great Britain – as World and Olympic champions the Netherlands were beaten 2-1 in Amsterdam.
Macleod, who was a member of the bronze-medal winning side from London 2012, is part of a 20-strong squad, which includes Tangerine clubmate Ellie Watton, playing a two test series.
And with the Champions Trophy in London and then the Rio Olympics both looming large on the horizon, this win puts the GB women in a good position going forward.
Lily Owsley and Helen Richardson-Walsh grabbed the goals in the first half, either side of an equaliser by Kitty Van Male.
Caia van Maasakker struck the crossbar with a penalty corner but GB were able to see out the final minutes of the game inside the Dutch half.
Danny Kerry, Great Britain’s head coach, said: “It was a slightly disjointed but winning performance.
“We can be better with the ball but we were defensively solid which won us the game.
- 1 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 2 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 4 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 5 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 6 Boreham Wood 4-0 St Albans City: FA Cup fairy tale comes to an end for The Saints
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 8 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 9 Gift shop's £20K donation to cancer charity
- 10 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
“We’re looking forward to 48 hours time when I feel we will have made some good adjustments to our game”
The second test is tomorrow (Thursday).