Herts Ad Sunday League: One storm passes but excitement builds ahead of big semi-final
- Credit: Archant
Wild conditions wiped out all Herts Advertiser Sunday League fixtures – moving attention very quickly onto the league’s biggest game of the season so far.
Storm Dennis may not have hit Hertfordshire with the force it did elsewhere in the country but the wet weather meant all 19 games had to be postponed.
Poor conditions and waterlogged pitches have caused mayhem already this season but this was the first time in the current campaign that the entire day's games were wiped out.
It is by no means the worst weather the league has had to face, however.
Back in 1962-63 two months of snowfall meant the then one division had to be cancelled and split in half to form a new competition.
The weather forecast looks kinder for the upcoming week although a tempest is expected when AFC Rangers and AFC London Road clash in the Herts Sunday Senior Cup semi-final.
The match between the two Premier Division sides at Colney Heath's Recreation Ground guarantees the league a place in the county's showpiece final, scheduled for March 29 at the County Ground in Letchworth.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
The referee in charge of the game will be Steve Chittenden while Chris Geelan and Alan Walker will be his assistants.
The other semi-final sees holders Reed Rangers take on fellow Watford Sunday League side Oakview.