Herts Ad Sunday League: One storm passes but excitement builds ahead of big semi-final
- Credit: Archant
Wild conditions wiped out all Herts Advertiser Sunday League fixtures – moving attention very quickly onto the league’s biggest game of the season so far.
Storm Dennis may not have hit Hertfordshire with the force it did elsewhere in the country but the wet weather meant all 19 games had to be postponed.
Poor conditions and waterlogged pitches have caused mayhem already this season but this was the first time in the current campaign that the entire day's games were wiped out.
It is by no means the worst weather the league has had to face, however.
Back in 1962-63 two months of snowfall meant the then one division had to be cancelled and split in half to form a new competition.
You may also want to watch:
The weather forecast looks kinder for the upcoming week although a tempest is expected when AFC Rangers and AFC London Road clash in the Herts Sunday Senior Cup semi-final.
The match between the two Premier Division sides at Colney Heath's Recreation Ground guarantees the league a place in the county's showpiece final, scheduled for March 29 at the County Ground in Letchworth.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets
The referee in charge of the game will be Steve Chittenden while Chris Geelan and Alan Walker will be his assistants.
The other semi-final sees holders Reed Rangers take on fellow Watford Sunday League side Oakview.