Grimsby flattered by score but send St Albans City out of the FA Cup

Louie Theophanous grabbed City's only goal

Louie Theophanous grabbed City's only goal - Credit: Archant

St Albans City’s adventure in this year’s FA Cup is over afer a 5-1 defeat to Vanarama National side Grimsby Town.

Goals from Conor Townsend and Padraig Amond put the fromer league club two-up by half-time and seemingly on their way to a comfortable win.

However, Louie Theophanous gave City hope with a cracking goal and it took strikes from Jon-Paul Pittman, Marcus Marshall and a second from Amond to finally put the game to bed.

Up to the first goal, City had given as good as they got.

Billy Gibson had shot over in the third minute before both he and Graeme Montgomery had an effort blocked.

A strong wind made it difficult once the ball went in the air and both sides were struggling to keep possession long enough to cause either keeper much concern.

Townsend’s free-kick on the half-hour was the first moment of real quality in the game but it came form an avoidable tackle.

Most Read

James Comley barged into the back of Omar Bogle and from 20 yards and Townsend curled the ball beautifully over the wall and beyond the reach of Welch.

If the first goal was a great strike, the second was a shambles from the visitor’s point-of-view.

Chappell’s headed backpass went beyond Welch and Amond, who had just come on as a substitute, slid home at the far post.

It was harsh on City but especially harsh of their travelling support who, despite being outnumbered, could certainly be heard above the quiet home fans.

Pittman should have made the game safe on 51 minutes but he hit the post when clean through.

It signalled a change from the subs bench with Harry Crawford replacing Montgomery and the change in formation up front caused Grimsby plenty of problems.

And within 10 minutes it had paid dividends.

Theophanous picked the ball up in a wide left position, cut inside and from the edge of the box unleashed a thumping drive which went in off the bar.

He almost repeated the trick moments later but the shot veered wide and when Crawford shot over the home crowd suddenly roused themselves in frustration.

They were placated on 71 minutes when Pittman tapped in at the far post, but St Albans were again guilty of giving the ball away too cheaply.

Marshall, another substitute, and Amond stamped the final nails into the coffin to give the score an undeserved look and send St Albans out of the cup.

Grimsby: McKeown, Tait, Brown, Pearson, Gowling, Bogle (Amond 43), Monkhouse (Robertson 79), Clay, Pittman (Marshall 74), Arnold, Townsend

Subs (not used): Warrington, Mackreth, Nsiala, East

City: Welch, Nunn, Chappell, Thomas, Comley, Martin, Gibson, Cocoran (Green 76), Theophanous (Sow 86), Krans, Montgomery (Crawford 54)

Subs (not used): Coulton, Locke, Kyriacou, Allen

Attendance: 2,263 (117 from St Albans)