Gregory strikes to lift Harpenden Town
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Brache Sparta 0 Harpenden Town 1 Harpenden Town 2 Sun Postal Sports 2 CHRIS Gregory claimed the goal that puts Harpenden Town on the verge of safety
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Brache Sparta 0 Harpenden Town 1
Harpenden Town 2 Sun Postal Sports 2
CHRIS Gregory claimed the goal that puts Harpenden Town on the verge of safety in the Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden had to defend well in the first half at Brache Sparta on Tuesday, with the home side kicking down the slope. Manager Paul Tomkins was impressed with the resilience of his side and felt confident they would go on and finish the job in the second half.
A number of chances came and went before Gregory got the goal in a scramble in the box just six minutes from time to secure a superb away win. Tomkins said: "I thought we would score. In the first half the defence played really well as the slope is just enough to give the team an edge. In the second half we gradually got on top and played some really good football."
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The result means Harpenden need a point from their final two matches to ensure they remain in the division and will also secure safety if Winslow drop points. Tomkins said: "It was an absolutely massive win."
On Saturday Harpenden hit back with a stunning free kick from defender Michael Ross to claim a point against Sun Postal Sports at Rothamsted Park.
Striker Richard Taaffe gave Harpenden the lead in the first half but several missed chances proved costly as Sun Postal hit back before the break.
Harpenden went behind in the second half before with six minutes remaining, Ross stepped up to crash the ball home for 2-2 from 25 yards. Tomkins said: "It was a very good strike. He has got such a clean strike on him and he absolutely leathered it. We should have won the game but I was happy to get a point because we were 2-1 down with six minutes to go."
Harpenden Town go away to Bedford on Saturday and will be at full strength as they look to continue their fine run of form under Tomkins.