Gregory strikes to lift Harpenden Town
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Brache Sparta 0 Harpenden Town 1 Harpenden Town 2 Sun Postal Sports 2 CHRIS Gregory claimed the goal that puts Harpenden Town on the verge of safety
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Brache Sparta 0 Harpenden Town 1
Harpenden Town 2 Sun Postal Sports 2
CHRIS Gregory claimed the goal that puts Harpenden Town on the verge of safety in the Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
Harpenden had to defend well in the first half at Brache Sparta on Tuesday, with the home side kicking down the slope. Manager Paul Tomkins was impressed with the resilience of his side and felt confident they would go on and finish the job in the second half.
A number of chances came and went before Gregory got the goal in a scramble in the box just six minutes from time to secure a superb away win. Tomkins said: "I thought we would score. In the first half the defence played really well as the slope is just enough to give the team an edge. In the second half we gradually got on top and played some really good football."
- 1 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 9 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
The result means Harpenden need a point from their final two matches to ensure they remain in the division and will also secure safety if Winslow drop points. Tomkins said: "It was an absolutely massive win."
On Saturday Harpenden hit back with a stunning free kick from defender Michael Ross to claim a point against Sun Postal Sports at Rothamsted Park.
Striker Richard Taaffe gave Harpenden the lead in the first half but several missed chances proved costly as Sun Postal hit back before the break.
Harpenden went behind in the second half before with six minutes remaining, Ross stepped up to crash the ball home for 2-2 from 25 yards. Tomkins said: "It was a very good strike. He has got such a clean strike on him and he absolutely leathered it. We should have won the game but I was happy to get a point because we were 2-1 down with six minutes to go."
Harpenden Town go away to Bedford on Saturday and will be at full strength as they look to continue their fine run of form under Tomkins.