Gregory strikes to lift Harpenden Town
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Brache Sparta 0 Harpenden Town 1 Harpenden Town 2 Sun Postal Sports 2 CHRIS Gregory claimed the goal that puts Harpenden Town on the verge of safety
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Brache Sparta 0 Harpenden Town 1
Harpenden Town 2 Sun Postal Sports 2
CHRIS Gregory claimed the goal that puts Harpenden Town on the verge of safety in the Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden had to defend well in the first half at Brache Sparta on Tuesday, with the home side kicking down the slope. Manager Paul Tomkins was impressed with the resilience of his side and felt confident they would go on and finish the job in the second half.
A number of chances came and went before Gregory got the goal in a scramble in the box just six minutes from time to secure a superb away win. Tomkins said: "I thought we would score. In the first half the defence played really well as the slope is just enough to give the team an edge. In the second half we gradually got on top and played some really good football."
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 5 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 6 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 7 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
The result means Harpenden need a point from their final two matches to ensure they remain in the division and will also secure safety if Winslow drop points. Tomkins said: "It was an absolutely massive win."
On Saturday Harpenden hit back with a stunning free kick from defender Michael Ross to claim a point against Sun Postal Sports at Rothamsted Park.
Striker Richard Taaffe gave Harpenden the lead in the first half but several missed chances proved costly as Sun Postal hit back before the break.
Harpenden went behind in the second half before with six minutes remaining, Ross stepped up to crash the ball home for 2-2 from 25 yards. Tomkins said: "It was a very good strike. He has got such a clean strike on him and he absolutely leathered it. We should have won the game but I was happy to get a point because we were 2-1 down with six minutes to go."
Harpenden Town go away to Bedford on Saturday and will be at full strength as they look to continue their fine run of form under Tomkins.