Gregg shines but Herts suffer defeat
County Championship Shield Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23 HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday. There was not much to choose between the teams
County Championship Shield
Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23
HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday.
There was not much to choose between the teams but the home side made the most of their chances and they scored the opening try, going on to lead 17-13 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Old Albanian star Richard Gregg contributed eight points for Herts in the opening half with two penalties and a conversion following a fine try from full back Tom Newton.
Early in the second half, Gregg scored a fine drop goal after Herts had won a ruck on the home 22. The hosts were not deterred though and, although Jon Child scored a try and Gregg converted with a stunning kick, Herts were beaten 33-23.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
In all a disappointing performance which will make the task all the harder when Herts take on Cornwall next Saturday at Hertford RFC, with a 3pm kick off. Gregg was joined in the starting line up by OA colleague Mark Mansfield, Tabard player Ryan Long and Harpenden star Rob Dumbleton. St Albans duo Brent Lemiere and Tony Giddings came on as replacements.