Gregg shines but Herts suffer defeat
County Championship Shield Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23 HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday. There was not much to choose between the teams
County Championship Shield
Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23
HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday.
There was not much to choose between the teams but the home side made the most of their chances and they scored the opening try, going on to lead 17-13 at the break.
Old Albanian star Richard Gregg contributed eight points for Herts in the opening half with two penalties and a conversion following a fine try from full back Tom Newton.
Early in the second half, Gregg scored a fine drop goal after Herts had won a ruck on the home 22. The hosts were not deterred though and, although Jon Child scored a try and Gregg converted with a stunning kick, Herts were beaten 33-23.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 5 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 9 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
- 10 St Albans Scout leaders heading to Korean Jamboree
In all a disappointing performance which will make the task all the harder when Herts take on Cornwall next Saturday at Hertford RFC, with a 3pm kick off. Gregg was joined in the starting line up by OA colleague Mark Mansfield, Tabard player Ryan Long and Harpenden star Rob Dumbleton. St Albans duo Brent Lemiere and Tony Giddings came on as replacements.