Gregg shines but Herts suffer defeat
County Championship Shield Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23 HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday. There was not much to choose between the teams
County Championship Shield
Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23
HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday.
There was not much to choose between the teams but the home side made the most of their chances and they scored the opening try, going on to lead 17-13 at the break.
Old Albanian star Richard Gregg contributed eight points for Herts in the opening half with two penalties and a conversion following a fine try from full back Tom Newton.
Early in the second half, Gregg scored a fine drop goal after Herts had won a ruck on the home 22. The hosts were not deterred though and, although Jon Child scored a try and Gregg converted with a stunning kick, Herts were beaten 33-23.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
In all a disappointing performance which will make the task all the harder when Herts take on Cornwall next Saturday at Hertford RFC, with a 3pm kick off. Gregg was joined in the starting line up by OA colleague Mark Mansfield, Tabard player Ryan Long and Harpenden star Rob Dumbleton. St Albans duo Brent Lemiere and Tony Giddings came on as replacements.