Gregg shines but Herts suffer defeat
County Championship Shield Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23 HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday. There was not much to choose between the teams
County Championship Shield
Eastern Counties 33 Hertfordshire 23
HERTFORDSHIRE opened their County Championship Shield campaign disappointingly, losing to Eastern Counties at West Norfolk RFC on Saturday.
There was not much to choose between the teams but the home side made the most of their chances and they scored the opening try, going on to lead 17-13 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Old Albanian star Richard Gregg contributed eight points for Herts in the opening half with two penalties and a conversion following a fine try from full back Tom Newton.
Early in the second half, Gregg scored a fine drop goal after Herts had won a ruck on the home 22. The hosts were not deterred though and, although Jon Child scored a try and Gregg converted with a stunning kick, Herts were beaten 33-23.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
In all a disappointing performance which will make the task all the harder when Herts take on Cornwall next Saturday at Hertford RFC, with a 3pm kick off. Gregg was joined in the starting line up by OA colleague Mark Mansfield, Tabard player Ryan Long and Harpenden star Rob Dumbleton. St Albans duo Brent Lemiere and Tony Giddings came on as replacements.