Greg Ngoyi returning to City?
- Credit: Archant
Greg Ngoyi could be set for a return to St Albans City if he can prove himself to the management.
The former Saints front man was at Clarence Park for Monday night’s 5-3 win over Cheshunt in the Herts Senior Cup. He was forced to leave the club in December 2013 due to work commitments but could be returning in the near future.
Joint manager James Gray said: “He’s little bit more settled at work so he rang me to ask if he could force himself into the squad he proves himself. He’s a proven goalscorer, not at this level but he’s a fox in the box.
“Greg has been out of the game for nine months so he’ll need to come in and work hard. We got a few friendlies which will be good for him to get some minutes and if he shows up well he could force our hand.”
He added: “He’s a great lad to have around, on and off the pitch, and hopefully he can push the rest of the centre forwards all the way.”
You may also want to watch:
St Albans have never found a fitting replacement for Ngoyi, who scored 18 times in a season and a half at the club, since his departure, going through a myriad of partners for John Frendo before settling on a lone-striker formation.
“Since we’ve been here, we haven’t found a partner for Frendo,” said Gray.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 Demystifying the press release: How to submit your stories to the Herts Ad
“It’s no coincidence that he got a hat-trick against Cheshunt with another striker up there with him. Nathan Peacock created space for him - that little bit of pace behind the defence opened the door for Frendo.
“We’re conscience of trying to get the best out of our players.”