Greenwood Park return to winning ways over Hemel Hempstead
- Credit: Archant
A dominant 109 run victory over Hemel Hempstead 4ths saw Greenwood Park climb back to the top of Division Eight B.
It was Greenwood’s first win in four and now means they have their title aspirations in their own hands with just four league games to go.
After winning the toss and electing to bat Park lost two early wickets to put them on the back foot.
But a counter-attacking 43 from Atique Ahmed and then an aggressive 46 from Shafaat Hussain helped their side reach 137-6 off just 23 overs.
Although wickets continued to fall Greenwood maintained their assault with the bat with Sunni Durrani stealing the show.
You may also want to watch:
The all-rounder batted magnificently with the tail, guiding his team to 239 all out with his own well-crafted 47.
It was then over to the bowlers who, after Hemel’s stubborn top order was removed, ran riot through the rest of the visitors depleted side.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
Vishal Pujari and Mubarak Zeb both picked up two dismissals but it was Ali Sherazi who shone.
Despite only finishing with figures of 1-12 off his six overs the quick bowled an exceptional spell, featuring some devastating short, hostile deliveries.
Two run outs, as well as wickets from Ajmal Hussain and Shafaat Hussain, cleaned up the Hemel lower order as Greenwood collected all 30 points to reclaim their position at the summit of the table.