Greenwood Park return to winning ways over Hemel Hempstead
- Credit: Archant
A dominant 109 run victory over Hemel Hempstead 4ths saw Greenwood Park climb back to the top of Division Eight B.
It was Greenwood’s first win in four and now means they have their title aspirations in their own hands with just four league games to go.
After winning the toss and electing to bat Park lost two early wickets to put them on the back foot.
But a counter-attacking 43 from Atique Ahmed and then an aggressive 46 from Shafaat Hussain helped their side reach 137-6 off just 23 overs.
Although wickets continued to fall Greenwood maintained their assault with the bat with Sunni Durrani stealing the show.
You may also want to watch:
The all-rounder batted magnificently with the tail, guiding his team to 239 all out with his own well-crafted 47.
It was then over to the bowlers who, after Hemel’s stubborn top order was removed, ran riot through the rest of the visitors depleted side.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 5 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
Vishal Pujari and Mubarak Zeb both picked up two dismissals but it was Ali Sherazi who shone.
Despite only finishing with figures of 1-12 off his six overs the quick bowled an exceptional spell, featuring some devastating short, hostile deliveries.
Two run outs, as well as wickets from Ajmal Hussain and Shafaat Hussain, cleaned up the Hemel lower order as Greenwood collected all 30 points to reclaim their position at the summit of the table.