Greenwood Park give hope to chasing pack
- Credit: Archant
A lacklustre batting display from Greenwood Park saw them fall to a two-wicket loss at home to Little Berkhampstead Sahibs.
Park posted a modest 143 all out in just 34 overs and despite their best efforts with the ball could not prevent their first loss in seven.
The result brings the visitors back into promotion contention, with the top four in Division Eight B of the Saracens Hertfordshire Cricket League now only separated by 49 points.
Having won the toss Greenwood chose to bat but quickly lost early wickets.
The home side found themselves 64-4 after 14 overs with this season’s top run scorer Chris Kent gone for 12.
You may also want to watch:
Atique Ahmed offered some resistance with an enterprising 33 but had little support.
The rest of the batting line up could not get to grips with the Berkhampstead attack as Park were all out for a severely sub-par score.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
Although heavy underdogs at the halfway stage, Greenwood started positively with Ajmal Hussain and Troy Petchey bowling with great discipline.
Berkhampstead then grabbed control of the game with Trevor Allum scoring 44 and the win looked to be a formality before Park’s bowling unit fired into action.
Mubarak Zeb and Hussain claimed three wickets each, the latter finishing with excellent figures of 3-23 off 15, as the visitors suddenly found themselves eight down.
However, a remarkable turn around was not to be, as Park could not find the crucial final two wickets, with Berkhamsptead reaching their target in the 57th over.
The title race continues for Greenwood next week as they travel to fellow promotion rivals Datchworth in a first versus fourth clash.