Green has big boots to fill
- Credit: Archant
Danny Green has been the man tasked with the unenviable task of filling the hole in St Albans City’s starting line-up left by Ram Marwa.
Last season’s players’ player of the year moved to Dubai in the summer, leaving joint mangers James Gray and Graham Golds with questions to answer in the defensive midfield position.
But Green’s performances in pre-season have shown he has the potential and quality to fill the role.
Speaking after St Albans’ 1-1 draw with Stevenage on Monday, Gray said: “He does [a lot of unsung work] and he can play anyway; he’s a manager’s dream. He scored a goal against Eastleigh so he’s got that in his game as well.”
Gray also praised Green’s patience because he has had to wait for his opportunity to arise and now it has he has grabbed it with both hands.
The former Harpenden Town captain was a summer signing ahead of the 2013/14 season after impressing as a trialist. However, in a stocked midfield, Green made just 17 appearances last year.
That looks set to change this year though, with him playing a pivotal role in front of the back four.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 3 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 4 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 5 Victorian street theatre coming to St Albans city centre this Christmas with classic Dickensian tale
- 6 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 8 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 9 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 10 St Albans named among UK's best places for Christmas activities
“It has been a long time coming for Danny,” admitted Gray.
“He’s bided his time and we’ve seen him play as a defensive midfielder and he’s been superb. He’s never let us down and he does the simple things well. Hopefully he can kick on and make himself a first-team regular and we’ll be well pleased if he does.”