Great Day for St Albans Judo Club
MEMBERS of St Albans Judo Club collected a clutch of medals at the Welsh Junior Nationals in Cardiff earlier this month. From a total of eight entrants, St Albans collected five medals with some excellent contest Judo. The first medal of the day
MEMBERS of St Albans Judo Club collected a clutch of medals at the Welsh Junior Nationals in Cardiff earlier this month. From a total of eight entrants, St Albans collected five medals with some excellent contest Judo.
The first medal of the day was silver for Jessy Edwards in the primary Under 31 kg category, in only her third contest. Lucy Day was next up and won gold and the national title in the primary Under 36 kg category.
Mickey Edwards and Victoria Cleevely both put on impressive performances and came away pleased but empty handed.
Two tough contests followed, bringing bronze medals for Liam Field and Megan Taylor in the junior over 60 kg and under 45 kg respectively. Tommi Borzak fought really well but was just edged out of medal positions.
You may also want to watch:
Having waited all day for her contests Gemma Wright, who won gold at the recent Kent International, defeated her challengers with a series of O-Goshi and Soto-Makikomi throws to win gold in the junior over 65 kg category.
St Albans Judo Club has a long established reputation for Judo excellence in contest Judo and Kata, as well as recreational Judo. Club members currently hold 12 National titles, and two instructors recently represented Great Britain in the European Kata Championships.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
In August the club will hold their annual summer school for children and adults. The summer school offers a week of judo coaching, fitness, fun and games. St Albans Judo club is open for classes every week night, with The Dojo located adjacent to the old fire station on Harpenden Road.