Gray ‘well pleased’ to sign Lampe
- Credit: Archant
Two more signings expected before the end of the week
Versatile defender Jack Lampe has become St Albans City’s first new signing of the summer, and two more are expected before the end of the week.
The Saints return to training tomorrow tonight following a busy summer for the club, which has seen the re-signings of the majority of last season’s squad.
Lampe, formerly of Concord Rangers, is the first new face at Clarence Park and, after ‘keeping tabs’ on him for the past year, joint managers James Gray is chuffed to have sorted out a deal.
“I was really impressed with him when we played Concord in the FA Cup at our place,” explained Gray.
“He’s a versatile defender who can play anywhere along the back four. He predominately wants to play centre-half.
“We’re going to have a small squad this season so he’ll fit in nicely with his versatility. He’s strong, young, hungry and has good pedigree.
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard as garages catch fire in village near St Albans
- 3 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 4 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 7 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 8 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 9 Kaiser Chiefs to perform extra show at Pub in the Park 2022 in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
“We’re well pleased to get him.”
Gray revealed the club is hopeful of signing a midfielder and a centre-forward before the weekend. City will also kick the tyres on a handful of trialists, including former front man Greg Ngoyi, during pre-season.
“We want to hit the ground running,” said Gray.
“With the signings we’ve made and trialists we’ve invited down, we’re looking good for pre-season.”