Gray ‘well pleased’ to sign Lampe
- Credit: Archant
Two more signings expected before the end of the week
Versatile defender Jack Lampe has become St Albans City’s first new signing of the summer, and two more are expected before the end of the week.
The Saints return to training tomorrow tonight following a busy summer for the club, which has seen the re-signings of the majority of last season’s squad.
Lampe, formerly of Concord Rangers, is the first new face at Clarence Park and, after ‘keeping tabs’ on him for the past year, joint managers James Gray is chuffed to have sorted out a deal.
“I was really impressed with him when we played Concord in the FA Cup at our place,” explained Gray.
“He’s a versatile defender who can play anywhere along the back four. He predominately wants to play centre-half.
“We’re going to have a small squad this season so he’ll fit in nicely with his versatility. He’s strong, young, hungry and has good pedigree.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 5 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 9 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
“We’re well pleased to get him.”
Gray revealed the club is hopeful of signing a midfielder and a centre-forward before the weekend. City will also kick the tyres on a handful of trialists, including former front man Greg Ngoyi, during pre-season.
“We want to hit the ground running,” said Gray.
“With the signings we’ve made and trialists we’ve invited down, we’re looking good for pre-season.”