Gray wants promotion for “outstanding” player of the year, Lee Chappell
- Credit: Archant
Lee Chappell picked up the top award as St Albans City held its annual presentation on Monday.
Following the 1-0 win over Biggleswade Town at Clarence Park, the former Wealdstone left-back was awarded the supporters’ player of the year. Paul Martin of Harpenden Construction presented the trophy to Chappell.
Joint manager James Gray said: “He’s had a consistent season. You look through the squad and the amount of games he’s played, you don’t need another left back because he’ll play every game, get up up and down and he’s got great energy.
“He’s scored a few but his consistency levels have been outstanding; it’s why I worked so hard to get him. Hopefully I can repay him with a promotion because it was not easy for him to leave Wealdstone, who have been promoted.
“He has a hunger to do well for St Albans and he’s appreciated in and out of the changing room. He’s ever present, wears his heart on his sleeve so I’m pleased for him.
You may also want to watch:
Ram Marwa was chosen as players’ player of the year while John Frendo picked up the goal of the season trophy for his spectacular volley against Billericay Town.
The Wagstaffe Simmons award was presented to club volunteer John Jones by the club’s joint owner Lawrence Levy.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land