Gray praises City debutants
- Credit: Archant
New signings Kerrea Gilbert and Connor Calcutt could be in contention for starting spots on Saturday after impressive debuts against AFC Totton at Clarence Park on Monday.
St Albans City announced the signing of Gilbert, a former Arsenal and Leicester City player, and Calcutt, on dual registration with Berkhamsted, on Friday but neither cracked the starting line-up in Saturday’s draw with Chippenham.
Both were handed full debuts against the Stags with Gilbert adding a goal and Calcutt impressing with his link up play.
After the game, joint manager James Gray said: “Kerrea never stopped for us, he kept getting forward and I thought he did really well. He was a good outlet for us, showed good pace and scored a goal so fair play to him.
“I though Connor put a good shift in. He looks like he’ll cause problems for defenders as he’s a willing runner and he’s big and strong so hopefully we can get the best out of him.”
City entertain St Neots at Clarence Park on Saturday (3pm kick-off) and Gray admitted both could get a second start.
“Connor has played a lot of football this season and scored a lot of goals for Berkhamsted so he’s ready to go. We’ll assess Kerrea and see how he’s reacted to tonight but he’s a fit lad so he should be fine.”
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 3 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 4 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 6 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 7 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 8 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
He added: “It more competition for places. We need to push these players to the limit because I don’t want anyone thinking it’s their shirt and their shirt alone.
“It’s another couple of players to bolster and strengthen the squad and I was really pleased with the pair of them.”