Gray ‘disappointed’ with 6-2 victory at Waltham Abbey
- Credit: Archant
Despite beating Waltham Abbey 6-2 on Saturday, St Albans City’s first win of the summer, joint manager James Gray admitted he was disappointed with the overall performance.
Summer signing Lewis Hilliard netted either side of half-time, as did trialist Connor Calcutt, who was at League Two club Stevenage last season. Michael Malcolm scored in the first-half before making way for Simon Thomas in the second, and former Bishop’s Stortford attacker Rod Young got the sixth.
It was the goal-scoring performance many have been waiting for, but Gray wasn’t so happy.
“The less said about the performance the better. We looked scrappy and I wasn’t pleased with a lot of stuff,” he told the club’s website. “The pitch was hard to move the ball around on so there was no tempo to the game.
“Waltham are a good side and they worked their socks off, and didn’t make it easy for us.
“Some of our boys are looking lethargic after some hard sessions. I learned a lot, although quite a lot of it I wasn’t happy with.
“I’m disappointed with a 6-2 win - it’s one of those things.”
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
Gray said Tuesday’s friendly at Biggleswade Town couldn’t come quick enough so City could fix their mistakes and put on a better show.
The Saints have three games this week as final preparations for August 8 and the season opener at Gosport Borough begin. After Tuesday’s trip to Biggleswade, City travel to Hitchin Town on Thursday and welcome Woking to Clarence Park on Saturday.