Gray ‘disappointed’ with 6-2 victory at Waltham Abbey
- Credit: Archant
Despite beating Waltham Abbey 6-2 on Saturday, St Albans City’s first win of the summer, joint manager James Gray admitted he was disappointed with the overall performance.
Summer signing Lewis Hilliard netted either side of half-time, as did trialist Connor Calcutt, who was at League Two club Stevenage last season. Michael Malcolm scored in the first-half before making way for Simon Thomas in the second, and former Bishop’s Stortford attacker Rod Young got the sixth.
It was the goal-scoring performance many have been waiting for, but Gray wasn’t so happy.
“The less said about the performance the better. We looked scrappy and I wasn’t pleased with a lot of stuff,” he told the club’s website. “The pitch was hard to move the ball around on so there was no tempo to the game.
“Waltham are a good side and they worked their socks off, and didn’t make it easy for us.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of our boys are looking lethargic after some hard sessions. I learned a lot, although quite a lot of it I wasn’t happy with.
“I’m disappointed with a 6-2 win - it’s one of those things.”
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Gray said Tuesday’s friendly at Biggleswade Town couldn’t come quick enough so City could fix their mistakes and put on a better show.
The Saints have three games this week as final preparations for August 8 and the season opener at Gosport Borough begin. After Tuesday’s trip to Biggleswade, City travel to Hitchin Town on Thursday and welcome Woking to Clarence Park on Saturday.