Gray ‘disappointed’ with 6-2 victory at Waltham Abbey
- Credit: Archant
Despite beating Waltham Abbey 6-2 on Saturday, St Albans City’s first win of the summer, joint manager James Gray admitted he was disappointed with the overall performance.
Summer signing Lewis Hilliard netted either side of half-time, as did trialist Connor Calcutt, who was at League Two club Stevenage last season. Michael Malcolm scored in the first-half before making way for Simon Thomas in the second, and former Bishop’s Stortford attacker Rod Young got the sixth.
It was the goal-scoring performance many have been waiting for, but Gray wasn’t so happy.
“The less said about the performance the better. We looked scrappy and I wasn’t pleased with a lot of stuff,” he told the club’s website. “The pitch was hard to move the ball around on so there was no tempo to the game.
“Waltham are a good side and they worked their socks off, and didn’t make it easy for us.
“Some of our boys are looking lethargic after some hard sessions. I learned a lot, although quite a lot of it I wasn’t happy with.
“I’m disappointed with a 6-2 win - it’s one of those things.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 Call for Government to review district housing targets
Gray said Tuesday’s friendly at Biggleswade Town couldn’t come quick enough so City could fix their mistakes and put on a better show.
The Saints have three games this week as final preparations for August 8 and the season opener at Gosport Borough begin. After Tuesday’s trip to Biggleswade, City travel to Hitchin Town on Thursday and welcome Woking to Clarence Park on Saturday.