Gray and Golds keep promotion promises
- Credit: Archant
James Gray was delighted to be able to deliver on his promise of promotion to the bevy of players the club has signed throughout the season.
Gray and Graham Golds acquired the likes of Lee Chappell, Ben Martin, John Frendo, and Steve Wales with the pledge that success would follow and trips to the FA Cup first round and FA Trophy second round followed.
But, Monday’s play-off win made sure he kept his word.
“I sold three or four of the players a dream of getting promoted,” he said.
“It’s not easy to deliver but the lads brought into what we’re trying to do and now they’re at a big, big club.
You may also want to watch:
“They have brought experience, pace and humour to the teams – the dressing room is a brilliant place to be. It’s been a brilliant season.”
One player who’s future is unclear at the moment is Ram Marwa. While Gray insisted he will do everything he can to keep him at Clarence Park, if he does go he has nothing but admiration for a player he called a ‘true professional’.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 5 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
“I can’t speak highly enough of what he’s done this season,” he said.
“We need to sit down with him and have a chat. If we do lose him then we can’t fill that void; nobody can do that job. We might have to play a different way because he give the players who don’t want to do that work a platform to express themselves.
“There are players out there, I’m not saying we can’t fill his boot but I want it known how much he has meant to us this year, and improved us.”