Gray and Golds keep promotion promises
- Credit: Archant
James Gray was delighted to be able to deliver on his promise of promotion to the bevy of players the club has signed throughout the season.
Gray and Graham Golds acquired the likes of Lee Chappell, Ben Martin, John Frendo, and Steve Wales with the pledge that success would follow and trips to the FA Cup first round and FA Trophy second round followed.
But, Monday’s play-off win made sure he kept his word.
“I sold three or four of the players a dream of getting promoted,” he said.
“It’s not easy to deliver but the lads brought into what we’re trying to do and now they’re at a big, big club.
“They have brought experience, pace and humour to the teams – the dressing room is a brilliant place to be. It’s been a brilliant season.”
One player who’s future is unclear at the moment is Ram Marwa. While Gray insisted he will do everything he can to keep him at Clarence Park, if he does go he has nothing but admiration for a player he called a ‘true professional’.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 3 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 4 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 5 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 'Risky' new plans to transform St Albans city centre for a post-pandemic world
“I can’t speak highly enough of what he’s done this season,” he said.
“We need to sit down with him and have a chat. If we do lose him then we can’t fill that void; nobody can do that job. We might have to play a different way because he give the players who don’t want to do that work a platform to express themselves.
“There are players out there, I’m not saying we can’t fill his boot but I want it known how much he has meant to us this year, and improved us.”