Gray and Golds keep promotion promises
- Credit: Archant
James Gray was delighted to be able to deliver on his promise of promotion to the bevy of players the club has signed throughout the season.
Gray and Graham Golds acquired the likes of Lee Chappell, Ben Martin, John Frendo, and Steve Wales with the pledge that success would follow and trips to the FA Cup first round and FA Trophy second round followed.
But, Monday’s play-off win made sure he kept his word.
“I sold three or four of the players a dream of getting promoted,” he said.
“It’s not easy to deliver but the lads brought into what we’re trying to do and now they’re at a big, big club.
“They have brought experience, pace and humour to the teams – the dressing room is a brilliant place to be. It’s been a brilliant season.”
One player who’s future is unclear at the moment is Ram Marwa. While Gray insisted he will do everything he can to keep him at Clarence Park, if he does go he has nothing but admiration for a player he called a ‘true professional’.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 9 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 10 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
“I can’t speak highly enough of what he’s done this season,” he said.
“We need to sit down with him and have a chat. If we do lose him then we can’t fill that void; nobody can do that job. We might have to play a different way because he give the players who don’t want to do that work a platform to express themselves.
“There are players out there, I’m not saying we can’t fill his boot but I want it known how much he has meant to us this year, and improved us.”