Gray and Golds keep promotion promises
- Credit: Archant
James Gray was delighted to be able to deliver on his promise of promotion to the bevy of players the club has signed throughout the season.
Gray and Graham Golds acquired the likes of Lee Chappell, Ben Martin, John Frendo, and Steve Wales with the pledge that success would follow and trips to the FA Cup first round and FA Trophy second round followed.
But, Monday’s play-off win made sure he kept his word.
“I sold three or four of the players a dream of getting promoted,” he said.
“It’s not easy to deliver but the lads brought into what we’re trying to do and now they’re at a big, big club.
You may also want to watch:
“They have brought experience, pace and humour to the teams – the dressing room is a brilliant place to be. It’s been a brilliant season.”
One player who’s future is unclear at the moment is Ram Marwa. While Gray insisted he will do everything he can to keep him at Clarence Park, if he does go he has nothing but admiration for a player he called a ‘true professional’.
- 1 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 2 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 3 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 4 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 5 Tributes paid following death of 'warm and polite' Redbourn councillor
- 6 Blooming Burnham flower tributes 'spread love not lurgies'
- 7 St Albans' COVID cases decline considerably as roadmap out of lockdown announced
- 8 Harpenden receives high praise from Health Secretary over vaccine
- 9 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 10 Renewed promises made across three generations of Herts guides
“I can’t speak highly enough of what he’s done this season,” he said.
“We need to sit down with him and have a chat. If we do lose him then we can’t fill that void; nobody can do that job. We might have to play a different way because he give the players who don’t want to do that work a platform to express themselves.
“There are players out there, I’m not saying we can’t fill his boot but I want it known how much he has meant to us this year, and improved us.”