Good start for Harpenden
London One North Harpenden 39 Rochford Hundred 13 HARPENDEN opened their new campaign in London One North in style against Rochford Hundred on Saturday. The home side got off to the worst possible start as individual errors and indiscipline were capitalis
London One North
Harpenden 39 Rochford Hundred 13
HARPENDEN opened their new campaign in London One North in style against Rochford Hundred on Saturday.
The home side got off to the worst possible start as individual errors and indiscipline were capitalised on well by the visitors to give them a 10-0 lead after five minutes.
However, Harpenden regrouped and battling against Rochford's abrasive style managed to pull back two tries courtesy of Pattison.
In the second half Harpenden took full advantage of the wind and pinned the visitors into their 22.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 3 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 4 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 5 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
- 6 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 7 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 8 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 9 Police arrest St Albans man on suspicion of 'harassment'
- 10 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
The pack, led by Read had an excellent game, allowing Collins to provide the backs with some high-quality possession which they made good use of.
Alan Barton attacked with pace to slip through the defence to score and Macdonald dodged his way over for a valuable five points. Jonny Barton added the extras before swapping with Marchon who, after only a few minutes scored a try of his own with a devastating turn of pace to leave his marker for dead.
The solid platform provided by Peck, Singleton and Peters allowed Dumbleton and Wolfe to make valuable yards up the field.
It was from one of these free-flowing phases that Speirs powered his way through for a try adding a conversion and a penalty to his tally.
Rochford continued to attack the Harpenden line with strong runs and some powerful forward play, but the home side's defence stood firm with Harmer preventing any way through at the breakdown.
The dominance of Roberts at the lineout and his contribution in open play earned him the Man of the Match status. Harpenden are away to Brentwood this weekend.