Golf: Redbourn’s Maddie Rolph, 10, win Herts Futures prize
The Herts Futures Tour took over the par-three Kinsbourne course at Redbourn Golf Club recently to kick start the 2014 season.
Now in its fourth year, the Futures Tour, sponsored by Lexus, is open to boys and girls from age six to 12.
The Redbourn Golf Club season opener attracted a record entry of 92 youngsters. Prizes were awarded in two handicap divisions for best and runner up gross and nett scores, with an extra prize for a birdie.
Forty-four children were awarded their first Futures Tour handicap and the standard of play was excellent with the lowest gross score on the day being five over par 32.
Redbourn junior member Maddie Rolph, aged 10, was amongst the prize winners with the best gross score in division two, which is for players with a handicap of 18 and above.
On tour each child is assigned to one of three “houses” The Hawks, Falcons and Kestrels and a team prize is also awarded for each event.
The tour was founded by Mark Day of Whipsnade Park Golf Club and Redbourn Golf Club’s own junior organiser Mark Knight, who was recently honoured with an award from England Golf for his voluntary work promoting junior golf.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 5 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 6 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 7 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 8 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 9 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
Application forms are available on the Hertfordshire Golf and Herts County Ladies Golf Association websites.