Golf: Redbourn’s Maddie Rolph, 10, win Herts Futures prize
The Herts Futures Tour took over the par-three Kinsbourne course at Redbourn Golf Club recently to kick start the 2014 season.
Now in its fourth year, the Futures Tour, sponsored by Lexus, is open to boys and girls from age six to 12.
The Redbourn Golf Club season opener attracted a record entry of 92 youngsters. Prizes were awarded in two handicap divisions for best and runner up gross and nett scores, with an extra prize for a birdie.
Forty-four children were awarded their first Futures Tour handicap and the standard of play was excellent with the lowest gross score on the day being five over par 32.
Redbourn junior member Maddie Rolph, aged 10, was amongst the prize winners with the best gross score in division two, which is for players with a handicap of 18 and above.
You may also want to watch:
On tour each child is assigned to one of three “houses” The Hawks, Falcons and Kestrels and a team prize is also awarded for each event.
The tour was founded by Mark Day of Whipsnade Park Golf Club and Redbourn Golf Club’s own junior organiser Mark Knight, who was recently honoured with an award from England Golf for his voluntary work promoting junior golf.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Application forms are available on the Hertfordshire Golf and Herts County Ladies Golf Association websites.