Golf: Hodges beats the weather to card a winning 75
- Credit: Archant
From a field of 60, Ryan Hodges, 17, recently won the Chesfield Downs Junior Open despite appalling conditions, with a gross score of 75.
Playing off a handicap of three, this gave him a net score of 72. There had been tremendous rain preceding the competition and many of the greens had standing water and all the bunkers were unplayable, making Hodges’ score al the more impressive.
Hodges has been a member of Harpenden Common Golf Club for two years and he is a pupil of Luton Sixth Form College. His father, Mark, bought him a plastic golf set at just 18 months old and he would not be parted from them. At the age of six he won his age group at a competition in Woking, Surrey, and by the age of 10 he had won a men’s competition at Stockwood Park.
He has played in many competitions in Beds and Herts, and at the age of 15 he qualified to play in the Junior European Open in Spain. He also won the Hadley Wood Junior Open last October with a one under par score of 71.
Harpenden Common Golf Club is proud to have such a talented young player in their junior ranks.
You may also want to watch:
For more information, contact Terry Crump, general manager at Harpenden Common Golf Club, on 01582 711325.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead