Golf courses in England able to reopen on Wednesday say England Golf after announcement from Boris Johnson
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Golf clubs around England have been given the green light to resume play on Wednesday in the wake of Boris Johnson’s announcement – but all rounds must played either solo or with members of your own household.
England Golf, “in conjunction with the R&A, home nations, PGA and other industry partners”, issued a statement following Sunday night’s speech to try and clarify matters.
They said: “The UK government has announced that golf will be able to resume in England on Wednesday.
“All outdoor sport must be done alone or within a household group and that includes golf.
“There is no change to the current position in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales and so golf courses in these countries must remain closed for now.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important to stress that this remains an extremely difficult situation and we are acutely aware that many lives have been lost to COVID-19.
“The effects of the virus will continue to be felt for a long time to come and as a sport we must work together to resume play responsibly as and when the relevant government determines it is safe to do so.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
“We must ensure that the safety and wellbeing of everyone involved from golfers to club staff and greenkeepers is maintained at all times.
“Golf clubs and golfers have observed the lockdown very well and must keep it up and act responsibly as play resumes.
“We have provided documents giving guidance on operations and resuming play and golf clubs should consider this carefully as they restart their businesses.
“We also provided essential maintenance guidelines to help greenkeepers to prepare their courses for play.
“We fully appreciate the huge amount of expertise that exists within golf clubs throughout the country and this best practice guidance simply aims to achieve as consistent an approach as possible to protecting everyone.
“We are seeking further clarification from the government regarding other golf-related facilities.
“The pandemic has already had a substantial impact on golf clubs and venues and the focus will soon turn to trying to recover from the crisis.
“As a group we will continue to do all we can to provide support and guidance in that effort.”