St Albans’ siblings Alex and Nathalie Culkin take fencing gold at Newham Series
- Credit: Archant
St Albans siblings Alex and Nathalie Culkin capped off an impressive month of fencing with gold medals at a national tournament.
The annual Newham Series is a keenly-contested competition, made up of four events that attract most of the country’s top young fencers.
The pair had to battle through a full day of fencing, with Verulam School’s Alex starting at 9.30am and finishing at 5pm after 13 gruelling bouts.
The win comes on the back of a silver at the U14 British Championships and bronze in the British Schools Championship.
He said: “I’ve managed to amass around 4,500 England ranking points for U15 fencers, which means right now I’m the number one foil fencer in the country.”
You may also want to watch:
Nathalie was undefeated on her way to second gold, which brought the overall series win.
The 12-year-old Samuel Ryder schoolgirl said: “It was one of those days. I managed 70 hits for and only 11 against, which is one of my very best returns.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 8 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 9 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works