St Albans’ siblings Alex and Nathalie Culkin take fencing gold at Newham Series
- Credit: Archant
St Albans siblings Alex and Nathalie Culkin capped off an impressive month of fencing with gold medals at a national tournament.
The annual Newham Series is a keenly-contested competition, made up of four events that attract most of the country’s top young fencers.
The pair had to battle through a full day of fencing, with Verulam School’s Alex starting at 9.30am and finishing at 5pm after 13 gruelling bouts.
The win comes on the back of a silver at the U14 British Championships and bronze in the British Schools Championship.
He said: “I’ve managed to amass around 4,500 England ranking points for U15 fencers, which means right now I’m the number one foil fencer in the country.”
You may also want to watch:
Nathalie was undefeated on her way to second gold, which brought the overall series win.
The 12-year-old Samuel Ryder schoolgirl said: “It was one of those days. I managed 70 hits for and only 11 against, which is one of my very best returns.”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor