Golden boot challenge for Frendo
- Credit: Archant
John Frendo has been set a challenge: to better his golden boot winning form from last season.
While playing for Southern League rivals Hitchin Town last years, Frendo scored 44 times in 48 games, which was good enough to win him the Pro Direct Golden Boot award at the Non-league Paper’s National Game Awards in association with Budweiser Club Futures.
His goal-scorer exploits at Top Field persuaded City to make a swoop for Frendo in the summer, a move that has paid dividends.
Frendo has scored 30 times in all competitions so far this season.
Asked if he would have accepted that at the start of the season, joint manager James Gray’s reply was blunt.
You may also want to watch:
“No. I told him I wanted him to beat last season’s record,” he said.
“Frendo is an animal when it comes to goals. He’s tough to stop and the way we’re playing at the moment and his form, he could make a run for leading goalscorer in the league.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
Speaking of Frendo’s goal against Burnham, Gray said: “What a strike. Not many people who can do that. On his left peg, with the ball bouncing and the keeper off his line, there’s only one outcome.”