Golden boot challenge for Frendo
- Credit: Archant
John Frendo has been set a challenge: to better his golden boot winning form from last season.
While playing for Southern League rivals Hitchin Town last years, Frendo scored 44 times in 48 games, which was good enough to win him the Pro Direct Golden Boot award at the Non-league Paper’s National Game Awards in association with Budweiser Club Futures.
His goal-scorer exploits at Top Field persuaded City to make a swoop for Frendo in the summer, a move that has paid dividends.
Frendo has scored 30 times in all competitions so far this season.
Asked if he would have accepted that at the start of the season, joint manager James Gray’s reply was blunt.
“No. I told him I wanted him to beat last season’s record,” he said.
“Frendo is an animal when it comes to goals. He’s tough to stop and the way we’re playing at the moment and his form, he could make a run for leading goalscorer in the league.”
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
Speaking of Frendo’s goal against Burnham, Gray said: “What a strike. Not many people who can do that. On his left peg, with the ball bouncing and the keeper off his line, there’s only one outcome.”