Golden boot challenge for Frendo
- Credit: Archant
John Frendo has been set a challenge: to better his golden boot winning form from last season.
While playing for Southern League rivals Hitchin Town last years, Frendo scored 44 times in 48 games, which was good enough to win him the Pro Direct Golden Boot award at the Non-league Paper’s National Game Awards in association with Budweiser Club Futures.
His goal-scorer exploits at Top Field persuaded City to make a swoop for Frendo in the summer, a move that has paid dividends.
Frendo has scored 30 times in all competitions so far this season.
Asked if he would have accepted that at the start of the season, joint manager James Gray’s reply was blunt.
You may also want to watch:
“No. I told him I wanted him to beat last season’s record,” he said.
“Frendo is an animal when it comes to goals. He’s tough to stop and the way we’re playing at the moment and his form, he could make a run for leading goalscorer in the league.”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
Speaking of Frendo’s goal against Burnham, Gray said: “What a strike. Not many people who can do that. On his left peg, with the ball bouncing and the keeper off his line, there’s only one outcome.”