Goldborne Pirates plunder St Albans
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Centurions were beaten 12-4 by Goldborne Pirates visited Samuel Ryder Academy.
The Pirates were down for the Challenge Cup final, which saw Leeds beat Castleford, and contacted U11 coach Gary Tetlow to see if a game could be organised for the Sunday on their way back home.
The game was played in four 15 minute segments. The visitors scored two tries in the first quarter whilst the Cents boys were still settling down, but after that it was avgood end to end game with both sides coming close to scoring.
At the start of the last quarter Goldborne scored again, and although St Albans had two tries ruled out, they eventually crossed the line with a length of the field run to score in the last minute of the game.
After the game coach Tetlow said: “This was a great game with teams from the north and south of England coming together to play and enjoy rugby league. Most of our players were a head shorter than their Goldborne counterparts, and in this age group size does count, yet our boys played very well against a team from the rugby heartland.
You may also want to watch:
“Both teams were a credit to the sport and enjoyed the game.”
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 9 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 10 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only