Goal rush continues for Harpenden Town

Harry Hunt goes in for a tackle

Harry Hunt goes in for a tackle - Credit: Archant

Harpenden Town’s excellent, goalscoring run of form under manager Danny Plumb continued on Wednesday against Chesham United Reserves.

After two consecutive 7-0 victories it was with great anticipation that Harpenden Town made the journey to the excellent pitch and facilities of Chesham.

Harpenden, with an unchanged starting 11 from Saturday, made a slower start than in their last two games in which they had been 2-0 up within the first 10 minutes.

They had to wait until the 11th minute to create their first real chance, Mark Hitchcock pulled the ball back to Harry Hunt who adjusted his feet well to divert the ball towards goal but Jack Hupwood made a good save.

Harpenden got their breakthrough in the 14th minute when they worked the ball down the Chesham left and Mark Davies pulled the ball back to the unmarked Tom Collins who slammed it home from 15 yards.

In the 38th minute the Chesham defence was again opened up when Nick Elliott laid the ball to Michael Davies who had come off the right wing but he had has shot well saved by Hupwood.

Harpenden were just edging a tight game but were to rue not increasing their lead when just before half time a strong run and cross from Chesham’s Jeanmal Prosper led to an own goal.

Most Read

The half ended with the scores level at 1-1. At half time Harpenden were forced to into making a substitution when Mark Hitchcock had a tight hamstring and he was replaced by Stef Geraldes.

Scoring just before half time seemed to galvanise the Chesham team and they started the second half the brighter but in the 57th minute a great through ball bisecting the Chesham defence from Nick Elliott set Michael Davies clear in the penalty area who slammed the ball home past Hupwood.

This was the start of a golden 10 minute spell for Harpenden which produced another two goals. First in the 61st minute all Hunt finished a lovely one touch move between Michael Davies and Elliot by taking the ball round the keeper to score.

Hunt then got his second in the 64th minute when after good work by Stef Geraldes down the right he converted Geraldes’ driven cross at the second attempt.

With Harpenden 4-1 up Chesham then came back into the game and after a good run by Will Orchard, whose direct running had been a threat all night, resulted in Chesham’s second goal, via a deflection.

To help counter this threat Plumb brought on the fresh legs of Ben Dawes for Tony Golder at right back.

In the 80th minute Town got the goal of the game when Collins played a great ball through to Geraldes, who took the ball to the edge of the box and hit a thunderbolt of a shot which went through the keepers’ hands and nestled in the top corner.

Hunt then completed his hat trick in the 83rd minute with a tap into an empty net following up on a saved Geraldes shot.

The game finished with Harpenden in control of the game, Plumb and the coaching team will be pleased with their night’s work, particularly with their second half performance.

With 20 goals for and only 2 against in February’s three games, Harpenden will be keen to continue their form when they host Risborough Rangers on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.