Girls’ rugby flourishing at Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
One of the major successes at Harpenden Rugby Club this season has been the dramatic rise of the new ladies section.
In the club’s first season offering girls’ rugby, it has fielded two regular teams, at U13 and U15, and is looking to expand further into both U18 and senior rugby.
On the back of the English ladies victory in the Rugby World Cup in 2014, Sport England’s This Girl Can campaign, and in conjunction with the RFU Women’s strategy, the women’s and girls’ game is going from strength to strength. This is exemplified by the inclusion of a 16-team women’s tournament as part of this year’s 50th International Pub 7s, held at Harpenden in August.
The involvement of Harpenden Ladies RFC in promoting the women’s game was recognised by an invitation from the RFU last weekend to participate in an organised training session prior to the Women’s 6 Nations match against Wales.
Following the training session, run by Wasps’ ladies’ coach, the girls participated in a lively question and answer session with World Cup winning vice captain Sarah Hunter and had their photographs taken with the World Cup. Not content with that, the RFU representatives organised for the girls to provide the guard of honour for both teams at the 6 Nations fixture.
You may also want to watch:
England went on to win 39-7 with a late substitute appearance by Harpenden girl Sarah McKenna.
Harpenden RFC welcomes both boys and girls from the age of four onwards to play mixed rugby. The girl’s section welcomes girls from Year 6 to play girls-only rugby. Contact email@example.com for more details
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 3 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 4 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 5 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire