George Ford set for England Saxons bow
- Credit: Archant
FORMER Harpenden schoolboy George Ford is set to make his England Saxons debut against the O2 Ireland Wolfhounds at Galway on Friday night.
The Leicester Tigers fly half is a former St George’s School pupil and played at junior levels for Harpenden RFC.
Ford will be joined in the back line by fellow debutants Elliot Daly (London Wasps) and Joel Tomkins (Saracens), while Saracens pair George Kruis and Will Fraser start in the back row at The Sportsground.
The replacements are also set to make their first appearances at this level are former England U20 forwards Rob Buchanan (Harlequins) and Shaun Knight (Gloucester Rugby), and ex-Rugby League international Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby).
Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers) will captain the side after helping steer his club into the quarter finals of the Heineken Cup last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Crane is one of six full internationals in the team along with Matt Mullan (Worcester Warriors), Paul Doran-Jones (Northampton Saints), Joe Simpson (London Wasps), Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins) and Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens).
Head coach Jon Callard, said: “This is a dynamic young side with an average age of less than 24 and the players have a chance to show that they can play a major part of the future of England Rugby over the coming years.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
“The blend of forward power and pace in the back line makes it an exciting one to be involved with.
“We’re facing an experienced Irish side in this opening game and the challenge is to step up and deliver a high quality performance in front of a passionate crowd in Galway.”
After facing the Wolfhounds away from home the Saxons return to England to take on Scotland A at Newcastle on Friday, February 1 (8pm).
England Saxons line-up
15 Elliot Daly (London Wasps)
14 Christian Wade (London Wasps)
13 Joel Tomkins (Saracens)
12 Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
11 Tom Biggs (Bath Rugby)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
1 Nick Wood (Gloucester Rugby)
2 Joe Gray (Harlequins)
3 Paul Doran-Jones (Northampton Saints)
4 Graham Kitchener (Leicester Tigers)
5 George Robson (Harlequins)
6 George Kruis (Saracens)
7 Will Fraser (Saracens)
8 Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers, captain)
16 Rob Buchanan (Harlequins)
17 Matt Mullan (Worcester Warriors)
18 Shaun Knight (Gloucester Rugby)
19 Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers)
20 Jamie Gibson (London Irish)
21 Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
22 George Lowe (Harlequins)
23 Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)