Gary Sandford hits 59 in Redbourn win

John Flemming bowls against Waltham Cross

John Flemming bowls against Waltham Cross - Credit: Archant

GARY Sandford continued his fine form with the bat, hitting a half-century, as Redbourn picked up their second successive win.

Building on the unbeaten 103 from seven days before against Ickleford and the 99 against North Mymms, the opener scored 59 in Redbourn’s successful run chase to pick a win number three of the season.

Captain Ben Roe won the toss and put Waltham in to bat but he had to wait a long time for the breakthrough.

Openers Mark Dyer (31) and Paul Morrison (49) made slow progress as they put on 84 runs for the first wicket, the latter stumped by Sandford. Having been made to wait for a wicket, Rebourn’s Dan Darvell removed Dyer and Dom Ritchell (0) as the score went from 84-1 to 86-3.

The hosts didn’t have to wait long for wicket number four; Darvell clean bowled Mark Gentle for one to leave Waltham 104-4.

Jonny Patel started to rebuild the innings, holding strike as he partnered Nicholas Patel (8), Sam Roberts (16) and Logy Patel (16) as he blasted 59 off 65 balls including six fours.

When he was finally dismissed by Darvell (4-77), with the score on 184-8, Waltham only managed two more runs before Steve Peek was run out by Darvell for a duck.

Most Read

Redbourn’s innings started in eerily similar style to Waltham’s with the openers making 81 before a flurry of wickets.

Sandford and George Naismith played the bowling attack with contrasting styles, former playing with patience and scoring slowing while the latter scythed the ball through the filed.

When Naismith was dismissed for a well made 42 off 53 balls it started a four-wicket collapse as Redbourn fell from 81-1 to 87-4.

Ben Roe joined Sandford in the middle. Sandford, who was on 30, passed the half-century mark and Roe added 29 as the pair moved to score to 138 before the latter was caught.

James Bunce added five before becoming the sixth wicket to fall and Sandford was next to go, caught at deep square leg. Chris Godfrey (10) and Darren Bassill (17) put Redbourn on the cusp of victory, needing seven runs off the final two overs.

When Godfrey was run out and Bassill was caught, Redbourn still needed seven to win off the final over. Darvell took a quick single before Jon Fleming drove the ball through extra cover for four.

With two runs required, Fleming guided the ball off his pads into the leg side for victory.

Final score: Redbourn (187-9) beat Waltham Cross Rosedale (186-9) by one wicket.

Next week Redbourn travel to Southgate Adelaide.

• There was no more wins for the club as the seconds lost to Old Haberdashers and the fourths drew with Watford.