Garland frustrates Blueboys but Gallagher has the last laugh
SSML Division One London Colney 1 Hadley 0 LONDON Colney left it late to score the winning goal against second-placed Hadley on Saturday. That Colney hadn t already scored was down to the performance of former St Albans City Youth goalkeeper Russell Garla
SSML Division One
London Colney 1 Hadley 0
LONDON Colney left it late to score the winning goal against second-placed Hadley on Saturday.
That Colney hadn't already scored was down to the performance of former St Albans City Youth goalkeeper Russell Garland between the sticks for Hadley.
An early Frankie Jowle free kick was fired over by Russell Gallagher and Dave Parkinson had a shot stopped by Garland.
Gallagher's jinking run nearly brought a goal but Garland was equal to the Colney attacker's effort pushing his shot around the post.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 6 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 9 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 10 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
Mark Whittamore was called into action for the first time making a good save to deny Jamie Hazell while at the other end Garland continued to frustrate the Blueboys.
Garland was finally beaten in the 73rd minute by Gallagher.
Parkinson made a surging cross-field run, slipping the ball to Gallagher who struck a cracking low shot just inside Garland's post.
The goalkeeper got a touch to Gallagher's shot but couldn't prevent it crossing the line.
Hadley had an opportunity to equalise when Neil Robinson was presented with a chance but he was off target.
Parkinson nearly doubled the Blueboys lead but Garland tipped his shot onto the post.
London Colney: Whittamore; Hull, Corran, Paradise, Murphy, Humbert, Jowle (Dickie), Danslow (Fitzgerald), Parkinson, Simmonds, Gallagher. Subs not used: Benning, Armstrong, Hill.