Gallery: St Albans ABC hosts “fantastic” first show of 2014
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Amateur Boxing Club is planning to host more shows after its first one was hailed as “fantastic”.
Saturday’s show was first event the club has hosted since the new committee was instated and saw the city’s top amateurs take on fighters from clubs in Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham and Oxford in an action-packed afternoon.
Organiser Bob Anderson said: “It was a great show, there was a massive crowd of people and the support was amazing – it was so much more than what we’d expected.”
The club had six fighters on the 12-bout bill and returned with three losses and three wins.
“Fighting in front of their friends and family, they all really enjoyed it, even the ones that lost,” he told the Herts Ad.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve been inundated with messages from the other clubs saying what a great show it was and what a fantastic venue Harpenden Public Halls is – everybody was praised for their efforts.”
He added: “It all fell into place. I was stressed in the run up to the show but it was amazing.”
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 9 Remembering Heartwood Forest supporter Pam
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
St Albans ABC used to have a reputation for putting on excellent shows and Anderson is hoping the club can build on the foundation laid by Saturday’s successful show.
“This is the start of getting the club back on the map, so to speak,” he said.
“The club raised the profile of the club and I’ve been contacted by people wanting to know more about the club and training times.”