GALLERY: Magpies grounded by high-flying Crows

League leaders leave it late to snatch the points at The Recreation Ground

SSML Premier Division

Colney Heath 1 Royston Town 2

CARL EDWARDS’ injury time goal condemned Colney Heath to defeat against league leaders Royston Town on Saturday.

The Magpies were left to curse their luck as Edwards struck late on for 10-man Royston after Jamie Eames’ penalty had cancelled out an early spot kick from Kaan Fehmi.

The game began with Royston taking early control and passing the ball well on a good surface and on the 10th minute, the ball was rolled across the six-yard line and Kaan Fehmi put the ball over the bar when it was easier to score.

Royston continued to dominate possession and kept the Colney Heath defence busy. Colney Heath did venture towards the Royston goal occasionally and Ian Cooper fired wide from 16 yards.

Most Read

Six minutes later Royston won a penalty after a dubious foul in the area which Kaan Fehmi took and despite Tom Blackman getting a hand to the spot kick Royston had the lead.

The Magpies responded well with Aaron Clarke firing wide from a quick free kick and two minutes later the Magpies were handed a penalty of their own when Cooper was brought down in the box by Royston goalkeeper Will Norris. Norris was given his marching orders by the referee leaving Beck to go in goal and his first action was to pick the ball out of the net as Eames stroked home the spot kick.

Colney Heath had the numerical advantage but it took some time to take control of the game as Royston showed why they are top, with some neat football. This couldn’t last and on 62 minutes, Colney Heath went close twice, Ricky Perks getting on the end of two crosses but he was not able to get the ball on target.

After good approach work from Eames, Steve Barker had a superbly directed header saved by Beck who then scrambled the ball out for a corner. From the delivery, Barker again rose and his towering header was acrobatically tipped over by Beck, who was keeping Royston in the game.

Beck was called into action again on 85 minutes as Eames had a shot from the edge of the area before recovering to beat Perks to the rebound.

Parratt then had a cross-cum-shot hit the post which hit Beck on the knee before being cleared by the full-back. All the luck was definitely going the way of the league leaders.

In time added on Royston clinched victory when an incisive breakaway led to Edwards side footing home from 12 yards just 30 seconds before the full-time whistle.

Gary Phillips’ side dropped one place in the league as a result of the defeat and now sit in 11th place.

Colney Heath: Blackman, Armstrong, Corran, Barker, Draper, Dickie, Coombs, Humbert, Eames, Cooper, Clarke.

Subs: Williams, Parratt, Lace, Perks, Gilbert.