Gallery: London Colney’s winning run ended by Tigers

Tommy Smith scores equaliser for London Colney. Picture: James Whittamore

Tommy Smith scores equaliser for London Colney. Picture: James Whittamore - Credit: Archant

London Colney’s winning streak came to a halt on Saturday as they suffered a 2-1 home defeat to London Tigers.

The Blueboys came into the game having beaten Hatfield Town, Hillingdon Borough and Herford Town but a late goal from Tigers’ Guy Tahin saw London Colney leave Cotlandswick with nothing.

It was the visitors who came close to scoring early on when Tahin’s shot beat goalkeeper Mark Whittamore but luckily for the Blueboys the ball struck the foot of the post and rebounded out for a throw.

At the other end Trevor Stevens fired in an effort which took a bounce on its way towards goal and the Tigers’ keeper was quick to react to catch the ball under the crossbar.

On 12 minutes the Tigers broke away to score the first goal of the match when Tahin cut out a square pass just inside the Blueboys half and sped away to slot the ball past the advancing Whittamore.

The lead was short lived as the Blueboys quickly won a corner from which they scored the equalising goal two minutes later. Ben Hammond floated over the corner kick and Tom Smith rose highest in the box to send a powerful header past Arrlys Pampolim.

Next Matt Newman went close with a glancing header from a Hammond cross and then Matt Newman swept the ball low across the six yard box but Martin Collins just failed to get that vital touch in front of goal.

Most Read

Then, out on the left wing, Hammond sent a free-kick to the far side of the box and once again Smith got up high only to see his header go across the face of the Tigers goal and wide of the far post.

A quick free-kick involving Collins and Hammond saw the latter sweep the ball across the six yard box for Jimmy Hartley to race in but his low shot was blocked on the line by Pampolim.

The Blueboys then should have made it 2-1 when Matt Newman was sent racing clear into the box but although his low drive beat Pampolim the ball hit the inside of the near post and then ran along the goalline to hit the inside of the far post and come back out into the welcoming arms of the keeper.

Just before the break Greg Shaw fired in an effort from 20 yards which was well held by the Tigers keeper.

Early in the second half a mis-hit shot by Stevens fell kindly for Hartley to send a shot goalwards which somehow the Tigers keeper just managed to tip over the crossbar and then Newman and Hammond combined to setup Shaw whose effort flew over the goal.

For the Tigers Bamba Kavawly saw his strike pushed around the post by Whittamore and then Tahin raced clear into the box but with only the keeper to beat he screwed his effort wide of the right hand post.

Hammond for the Blueboys cut the ball back for Greg Shaw to fire in a shot which was blocked but the ball came back to him to drive the ball in again only for Pampolim to make yet another fine save down to his left.

With about six minutes to go Newman played the ball to Cain Davey and with Hammond calling for the ball Davey elected to shot from 25 yards and his shot was saved.

In a blink of an eye the ball was quickly played down to the other end of the field whereupon Pedro Cotelo found Tahin with a neat through ball and he duly raced into the box fired the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net to make the final score 2-1 to the Tigers.