Gallery: Late goals see Harpenden to victory

Harry Hunt sees off a tackle from an Arlesey defender

Harry Hunt sees off a tackle from an Arlesey defender - Credit: Archant

Harpenden Town recorded their second consecutive 3-1 victory on Saturday with a home win over Arlesey Town Reserves.

A Ben Dawes brace and a single strike from Harry Hunt ensured Simon Andrews’ team recorded the same scoreline this weekend as they did against AFC Whitwell seven days previously in the Anagrams Trophy.

Harpenden Town started the game well and took an early lead. Stef Geraldes won the ball with a strong challenge in the Arlesey Town half and played a through ball to Hunt who kept his composure and drew the keeper out before going round him to open the scoring.

At this stage, it looked like Hunt would go on to catch James Ewington, who featured for Potters Bar Town on Saturday, in the goal scoring charts. However, Arlesey Town got themselves back into the game just before half-time and Harpenden were disappointed to go in at the break on level terms.

In the second period Harpenden were once again the better team and Hunt was thwarted a number of times by good saves from Sam Wyer. It looked as if Michael Davies had restored Harpenden’s lead only to be denied by a goal-line clearance.

Just as it looked like the game was petering out to a draw, in the 88th minute Harry Hunt made himself some space on the right from which he delivered an excellent cross into the six yard box for Dawes to glance home after making a late run into the box.

Not happy with that, he repeated the trick hooking home in the 89th minute from inside the six yard box to ensure the victory for Harpenden.

Most Read

Simon Andrews will be pleased with this result and the confidence it should give the team before difficult away ties at Codicote on the November 5 and Winslow Town on the November 9.

Harpenden Town will be returning to action at Rothamsted on November 16 in the second round of the Anagrams Trophy to Bushey Sports Club.