Gallery: Ladies edge local derby
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City Ladies earned bragging rights over local rivals Harvesters with a 1-0 victory.
Harvesters visited City on Sunday in hopes of ending their unbeaten run in the league and, as expected, the game was end to end.
The visitors held firm against City’s attacks in the first half and made a few chances of their own.
It was a free-kick conceded just outside the area that proved costly for Harvesters as Megan Kiff stepped up and blasted the ball into the top left corner of the goal for her first ever competitive goal against Harvesters.
Not giving up, Harvesters continued to pile on the pressure and City’s task of withstanding it became more diffcult when Kiff was given her marching orders for dissent.
Defensively City stood strong with Sarah Ward and Faith Trounce at the back. They even came close to increasing their lead a few times, including Georga Knight rattling the crossbar with Holly Sheriden attacking the rebound causing Harvesters to clear off the line.
At the other end Emma Tammaro controlled her box well to continue her run of clean sheets.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
Squad: Emma Tammaro, Sasha Tucker, Megan Kiff (C), Sarah Ward, Grace Campion, Rachel Sherlow, Kelly Hancock, Lucy Hancock, Laura Noble, Sophie Joseph, Faith Trounce, Georga Knight, Holly Sheridan, Vikki Allen, Renae Mooney.