Gallery: Harpenden rout league leaders Staines
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden recorded an emphatic victory over league leaders Staines at Redbourn Lane on Saturday, running in seven tries in a 52-12 rout.
Winger Adam Sterling set the tone with a third-minute try before his fellow backs shut the door on Staines’ instant reply. From then on it was a case of how many points can Harpenden score as their pack harried their opponents into submission and the backs showed a ruthlessness with and without the ball.
After converting Sterling’s early try, Aaron Wilde was perfect with his next three kicks, two conversions, from Sterling and Max Baggio scores, and a penalty to give Harpenden a 24-5 lead.
In the second half Harpenden played to their potential and showed how far they had come under coach Matt Davies.
The icing on the cake was the performance of Michael Goode at no.8. He scored twice using his strength to force his way to the Staines’ line – the second from a lineout 15 metres out.
You may also want to watch:
Baggio got his second with a 50-metre run-in and back row Chris Wilkinson completed the rout. Wilde converted all four tries to take his day’s point tally to 17.
Harpenden’s next league game is Away against Hammersmith & Fulham.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 8 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans