Gallery: Harpenden defend County 7s title
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club retained its Herts County 7s title with a convincing win over Letchworth in the final.
In a repeat of last year’s championship match, which also went Harpenden’s way, but by a closer 19-10 margin, the hosts showed their try-scoring prowess, as well as their stout defence, to beat Letchworth 36-0.
With about two hundred spectators watching them, Harpenden had scored 40 points against Cheshunt and 38 against Welwyn by the time they had reached the final.
Jackson Cooper Wall broke the final open with a barnstorming, full length of the pitch run to score the first try. A minute later Tristan Francis ran over, and then a move between John Collins, Fred Gulliford and Adam Stirling saw the latter go in for number three.
Not to be outdone, Gulliford took it upon himself to go in from 40 metres out. Collins converted two of his attempts to give Harpenden a 24-0 lead at the interval.
The second half wasn’t all plain sailing and on occasions the host’s defence was tested to the limit. However, Stirling and Collins, then Dave Green, brought the home team a winning margin of 36-0.
The Hertfordshire Rugby Union president, Graham Walker, was in attendance and presented the trophy to the winners.
- 1 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 2 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Call for proper testing for new Charter Market stalls
- 9 St Albans Striders shine at Summer Solstice 10k
- 10 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
In the Plate, Chesthunt lost to Letchworth 22-12.