Gallery: Harpenden defend County 7s title
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club retained its Herts County 7s title with a convincing win over Letchworth in the final.
In a repeat of last year’s championship match, which also went Harpenden’s way, but by a closer 19-10 margin, the hosts showed their try-scoring prowess, as well as their stout defence, to beat Letchworth 36-0.
With about two hundred spectators watching them, Harpenden had scored 40 points against Cheshunt and 38 against Welwyn by the time they had reached the final.
Jackson Cooper Wall broke the final open with a barnstorming, full length of the pitch run to score the first try. A minute later Tristan Francis ran over, and then a move between John Collins, Fred Gulliford and Adam Stirling saw the latter go in for number three.
Not to be outdone, Gulliford took it upon himself to go in from 40 metres out. Collins converted two of his attempts to give Harpenden a 24-0 lead at the interval.
You may also want to watch:
The second half wasn’t all plain sailing and on occasions the host’s defence was tested to the limit. However, Stirling and Collins, then Dave Green, brought the home team a winning margin of 36-0.
The Hertfordshire Rugby Union president, Graham Walker, was in attendance and presented the trophy to the winners.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
In the Plate, Chesthunt lost to Letchworth 22-12.