Gallery: Fitzgerald goal settles derby
Herts Senior Centenary Trophy Round Two Park Street Village 0 London Colney 1 DANNY Fitzgerald scored the only goal of the game as London Colney edged past Park Street Village in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy. Park Street s Andy Murphy had an early e
Herts Senior Centenary Trophy Round Two
Park Street Village 0
London Colney 1
DANNY Fitzgerald scored the only goal of the game as London Colney edged past Park Street Village in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Park Street's Andy Murphy had an early effort saved by Mark Whittamore while at the other end Tony Kerby had to push Frankie Jowle's free kick around the post.
In an end-to-end first half, Andy Ruck saw his shot blocked for PSV before Colney scored the only goal of the game in the 20th minute.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Gary Simmonds and Jowle combined to release Josh Humbert who crossed for Fitzgerald to prod the ball over the line.
Russell Gallagher saw his shot go over the bar and Shaun Murphy had to be alert to clear Murphy's dangerous cross.
On the stroke of half time PSV should have drawn level when Murphy put pressure on Mark Paradise and he played the ball into the path of John Winyard.
Unfortunately for the hosts he rushed his shot and sliced the ball wide of the goal.
Gallagher went close to doubling Colney's lead in the second half when his lob went over the bar and again when he took too many touches and saw his goalbound shot blocked by Ricky Petts.
Winyard had a shot diverted round the post by Whittamore who also saved from Chris McCarthy.
There was nothing the Blueboys' goalkeeper could do when Ant Burns fired past him but Lee Benning was on hand to clear off the line to deny PSV an equaliser.
Paul Danslow and Humbert both had headers saved by Kerby who also kept out an effort from Parkinson.
Although the hosts put a lot of pressure on the Blueboys defence they couldn't get the equaliser they deserved.
Park Street: Kerby; Petts, C Day, Thompson, Ruck, Shackell, McCarthy, A Burns, Murphy, M Day, Winyard.
Subs: Hill, Tahon, Warn, Gorman, Woodruff.
London Colney: Whittamore, Benning, Corran, Murphy, Paradise, Fitzgerald (Danslow), Jowle, Humbert, Parkinson, Simmonds (Dickie), Gallagher (Hull).
Subs not used: Armstrong, Hill.