Gallery: Fitzgerald goal settles derby
Herts Senior Centenary Trophy Round Two Park Street Village 0 London Colney 1 DANNY Fitzgerald scored the only goal of the game as London Colney edged past Park Street Village in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy. Park Street s Andy Murphy had an early e
Herts Senior Centenary Trophy Round Two
Park Street Village 0
London Colney 1
DANNY Fitzgerald scored the only goal of the game as London Colney edged past Park Street Village in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy.
Park Street's Andy Murphy had an early effort saved by Mark Whittamore while at the other end Tony Kerby had to push Frankie Jowle's free kick around the post.
In an end-to-end first half, Andy Ruck saw his shot blocked for PSV before Colney scored the only goal of the game in the 20th minute.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 4 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 5 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 8 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 9 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 10 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
Gary Simmonds and Jowle combined to release Josh Humbert who crossed for Fitzgerald to prod the ball over the line.
Russell Gallagher saw his shot go over the bar and Shaun Murphy had to be alert to clear Murphy's dangerous cross.
On the stroke of half time PSV should have drawn level when Murphy put pressure on Mark Paradise and he played the ball into the path of John Winyard.
Unfortunately for the hosts he rushed his shot and sliced the ball wide of the goal.
Gallagher went close to doubling Colney's lead in the second half when his lob went over the bar and again when he took too many touches and saw his goalbound shot blocked by Ricky Petts.
Winyard had a shot diverted round the post by Whittamore who also saved from Chris McCarthy.
There was nothing the Blueboys' goalkeeper could do when Ant Burns fired past him but Lee Benning was on hand to clear off the line to deny PSV an equaliser.
Paul Danslow and Humbert both had headers saved by Kerby who also kept out an effort from Parkinson.
Although the hosts put a lot of pressure on the Blueboys defence they couldn't get the equaliser they deserved.
Park Street: Kerby; Petts, C Day, Thompson, Ruck, Shackell, McCarthy, A Burns, Murphy, M Day, Winyard.
Subs: Hill, Tahon, Warn, Gorman, Woodruff.
London Colney: Whittamore, Benning, Corran, Murphy, Paradise, Fitzgerald (Danslow), Jowle, Humbert, Parkinson, Simmonds (Dickie), Gallagher (Hull).
Subs not used: Armstrong, Hill.