Gallery: Dogged Harpenden beat Hertford
- Credit: Archant
A dogged performance saw Harpenden beat Hertford 5-3 and move up to second in Division 2S of the East League.
Harpenden, brimming with confidence after four consecutive wins, began positively and edged the early possession. As the half wore on a physical Hertford side increasingly dominated but against the run of play Harpenden scored two quick goals.
David Falk scored the first, reacting quickest to drive home a loose ball, and Reece Baker-Kiff got the second, a drag flick low to the goalkeeper’s right.
Hertford pulled on back before the break but the two-goal cushion was restored shortly after the restart. After Falk had a goal ruled out, Henry Amos opened his account for the club with an easy tap-in.
Hertford quickly countered, scoring one and going very close to an equaliser, denied only by a brilliant diving goal-line clearance from Tom Bunbury.
With less than 10 minutes to go, Harpenden put the game beyond doubt with two more goals within a minute. Falk grabbed his second of the match with a powerful flick from a short corner and Mike Bowler drove home a cross at the far post.
Hertford scored their third with the final play of the match but it was too little too late as Harpenden moved up to second.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
This Saturday Harpenden host third-placed Blueharts at Woollams.