Gallery: Dogged Harpenden beat Hertford
- Credit: Archant
A dogged performance saw Harpenden beat Hertford 5-3 and move up to second in Division 2S of the East League.
Harpenden, brimming with confidence after four consecutive wins, began positively and edged the early possession. As the half wore on a physical Hertford side increasingly dominated but against the run of play Harpenden scored two quick goals.
David Falk scored the first, reacting quickest to drive home a loose ball, and Reece Baker-Kiff got the second, a drag flick low to the goalkeeper’s right.
Hertford pulled on back before the break but the two-goal cushion was restored shortly after the restart. After Falk had a goal ruled out, Henry Amos opened his account for the club with an easy tap-in.
Hertford quickly countered, scoring one and going very close to an equaliser, denied only by a brilliant diving goal-line clearance from Tom Bunbury.
You may also want to watch:
With less than 10 minutes to go, Harpenden put the game beyond doubt with two more goals within a minute. Falk grabbed his second of the match with a powerful flick from a short corner and Mike Bowler drove home a cross at the far post.
Hertford scored their third with the final play of the match but it was too little too late as Harpenden moved up to second.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
This Saturday Harpenden host third-placed Blueharts at Woollams.