Gallery: Chelsea XI net pre-season win over St Albans City
ST ALBANS City were beaten 3-0 by a talented young Chelsea XI at Clarence Park on Saturday.
Patrick Bamford and Adam Coombes, from the penalty spot, both beat City keeper Nick Jupp to put The Blues 2-0 up in the opening 14 minutes.
St Albans’ best chance of pulling a goal back come on 66 minutes as Richard Graham was pushed in the area and he earned a penalty.
However, Micah Hyde saw his spot-kick saved by Sam Walker.
The third Chelsea goal came from John Swift, with an assist from new-signing Thorgan Hazard, with just over 20 minutes to play.
You may also want to watch:
See the link above right for photos from the match.
St Albans continue their pre-season campaign on Wednesday evening with a clash against League One’s Stevenage at Clarence Park, kick-off 7.45pm.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall