GALLERY: Bonus-point win for Vees in penultimate game
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians recorded a five-point win in their penultimate game of the season as they beat Feltham 28-7 at Cotlandswick.
Vees’ final game of the season is at Old Millhillians on April 11.
Regardless of the result, this season will be tinged with disappointment. A blistering middle of the season – Vees won eight games on the bounce – could have put them in contention for promotion had it not been for a poor start, when they won just two of their first seven matches.
Instead, Vees will finish in either fourth or fifth in Herts/Middlesex 1. A commendable performance, but it could have been so much more. They will, however, go into next season full of confidence, knowing what the team can achieve.
Saturday’s win over Feltham turned into a exhibition as the visitors lost a prop forward in the first five minutes and, without any replacements, resulted in uncontested scrums.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan Taylor scored the first try, which was converted by Ben Russell, in a dominant second half. Russell darted over and added the extras to put Vees 21-7 up.
The game descended into mistakes until just before the final whistle when Ryan Taylor dived over for the bonus-point try. Russell split the uprights with the last kick of the game.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 6 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images