GALLERY: Bonus-point win for Vees in penultimate game
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians recorded a five-point win in their penultimate game of the season as they beat Feltham 28-7 at Cotlandswick.
Vees’ final game of the season is at Old Millhillians on April 11.
Regardless of the result, this season will be tinged with disappointment. A blistering middle of the season – Vees won eight games on the bounce – could have put them in contention for promotion had it not been for a poor start, when they won just two of their first seven matches.
Instead, Vees will finish in either fourth or fifth in Herts/Middlesex 1. A commendable performance, but it could have been so much more. They will, however, go into next season full of confidence, knowing what the team can achieve.
Saturday’s win over Feltham turned into a exhibition as the visitors lost a prop forward in the first five minutes and, without any replacements, resulted in uncontested scrums.
Ryan Taylor scored the first try, which was converted by Ben Russell, in a dominant second half. Russell darted over and added the extras to put Vees 21-7 up.
The game descended into mistakes until just before the final whistle when Ryan Taylor dived over for the bonus-point try. Russell split the uprights with the last kick of the game.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 5 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 9 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 10 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford