Gallery: Blueboys fight back to earn opening day point
- Credit: Archant
London Colney fought back from a goal down to start their SSML Premier Division season with a 1-1 draw against Tring Athletic.
Chris Vardy had given the visitors the lead just before the break but Russell Gallagher fired back with a goal just before the hour mark to ensure the Blueboys won a point on the opening day.
Colney started well with Martin Collins having a low shot saved by Matt Evans, the Tring goalkeeper, and then sending a shot just the wrong side of the post. Jimmy Warner and Jimmy Hartley then linked up but their charge towards goal was blocked.
Colney should have taken the lead when Warner sent Collins clear but his attempted lob missed the target.
Just before the break Tring took the lead when Stewart King played a simple ball to the unmarked Vardy and he calmly stroked it past Gavin Simpson.
The Blueboys started the half of top as Gallagher, Greg Shaw and Warner went close to levelling the game.
The pressure finally told in the 58th minute as the Blueboys drew level. A passing move down the left saw Warner round his marker and sweep over a low cross into the box whereupon Gallagher blasted the ball into the roof of the net.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
Colney went close to finding a second but it was Tring who should have added to their tally. Taylor Collins crossed the ball over from the right wing to Vinnie Iannone from but he headed the ball over the crossbar.
After the let-off, the Blueboys went back in search of the winner but it Evans refused to be beaten and the game ended all square.
London Colney travel to Kings Langley on Tuesday, 7.45pm kick-off. Langley beat Colney Heath 2-1 on the opening day.