Gallery: Blueboys breeze into Shield quarter-final
- Credit: Archant
London Colney romped to the second round of the Herts Charity Shield at the expense of Hoddesdon Town on Tuesday night.
In their first competitive game of the season, the Blueboys scored five unanswered goals to set up a quarter-final tie away to Sawbridgeworth.
Colney started well with first a Spencer Clarke-Mardel strike going just wide and then a shot on the turn from Jimmy Hartley being beaten away by the Hoddesdon keeper.
The visitors did go close with a rising effort going just over the crossbar but then on 11inutes the Blueboys opened the scoring. Dan Power made a surging run down the right and crossed the ball to Jimmy Warner. He set up Martin Collins who netted from close range.
The home side continued to play some excellent football and were rewarded with two goals in the space of two minutes. Greg Shaw’s free-kick was headed home by Jimmy Warner and then Russell Gallagher made it 3-0 with a first-time shot.
Two minutes into the second half the Blueboys made it 4-0 when Warner, out on the left, sent over a inch perfect cross for Hartley to head the ball powerfully into the back of the for.
Goal number five came in the 72nd minute and this time it was Collins who crossed the ball in from the left for Hartley to nod the ball down for James Lawrence to steal in at the back post unmarked and fire it home from four yards out.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 4 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 5 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 10 Hatfield fixer-upper with lake on sale for £2.5m
The win was the perfect start to the season for new manager Jim Nicholls, who spoke to the Herts Ad about the up-coming season. Pick up a copy of this week’s Herts Ad to see what he had to say.