Gallery: Blueboys breeze into Shield quarter-final
- Credit: Archant
London Colney romped to the second round of the Herts Charity Shield at the expense of Hoddesdon Town on Tuesday night.
In their first competitive game of the season, the Blueboys scored five unanswered goals to set up a quarter-final tie away to Sawbridgeworth.
Colney started well with first a Spencer Clarke-Mardel strike going just wide and then a shot on the turn from Jimmy Hartley being beaten away by the Hoddesdon keeper.
The visitors did go close with a rising effort going just over the crossbar but then on 11inutes the Blueboys opened the scoring. Dan Power made a surging run down the right and crossed the ball to Jimmy Warner. He set up Martin Collins who netted from close range.
The home side continued to play some excellent football and were rewarded with two goals in the space of two minutes. Greg Shaw’s free-kick was headed home by Jimmy Warner and then Russell Gallagher made it 3-0 with a first-time shot.
You may also want to watch:
Two minutes into the second half the Blueboys made it 4-0 when Warner, out on the left, sent over a inch perfect cross for Hartley to head the ball powerfully into the back of the for.
Goal number five came in the 72nd minute and this time it was Collins who crossed the ball in from the left for Hartley to nod the ball down for James Lawrence to steal in at the back post unmarked and fire it home from four yards out.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 9 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 10 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
The win was the perfect start to the season for new manager Jim Nicholls, who spoke to the Herts Ad about the up-coming season. Pick up a copy of this week’s Herts Ad to see what he had to say.