Gallagher seals win

London Colney picked up three more points on Saturday after they saw off the challenge of Cranfield. Paul Danslow gave the Blueboys the lead after just ten minutes. The striker controlled Lee Benning s pass and despite pressure from the Cranfield defence

London Colney picked up three more points on Saturday after they saw off the challenge of Cranfield.

Paul Danslow gave the Blueboys the lead after just ten minutes. The striker controlled Lee Benning's pass and despite pressure from the Cranfield defence, drilled his shot past Andy Gibb in the visitors' goal.

The lead lasted just eight minutes as Barry Bellhouse headed home from Stuart Reynolds' cross.

The goal sparked the visitors into life. Ellis Spence fired over the bar after the Blueboys failed to clear their lines. Danslow won a free-kick for the home side, but his effort was well saved by Gibb.

The hosts had a glorious chance to score when Sam Mitchell's pass found Dan McCafferty in space. Unfortunately McCafferty slipped at the vital moment and the chance was gone.

Danslow continued to cause the Cranfield defence problems, this time slipping the ball across the face of the goal but Dave Corran shot wide of the open goal.

Most Read

The visitors began the second half on top and goalkeeper Alistair Hill had to be alert to deny Tom Resch and a Reynolds free kick.

Gary Simmonds' free kick was met by the head of Paradise but his effort was saved by Gibb as the Blueboys fought back.

Despite the visitors' dominance, it was the hosts who regained the lead in the 62nd minute. Cain Davey crossed the ball into the six-yard box for Sam Mitchell who laid the ball off to Gary Simmonds to smash the ball into the net.

Cranfield continued to apply pressure on the Blueboys defence with Bellhouse, Lester, Reynolds and Quinn all going close.

The game was settled in the 77th minute with a fine breakaway goal. Substitute Jack Rowley played the ball to Danslow on the halfway line who in turn sent Russell Gallagher clear down the right-hand side. Gallagher raced into the Cranfield area and struck a low shot past Gibb to seal the win for the Blueboys.

London Colney: Hill, Benning, McCafferty, Dickie, Paradise, Humbert, Mitchell (Gallagher), Simmonds, Danslow, Davey (Rowley) Corran. Unused Subs: Barker, Seabrook.

l LONDON Colney Reserves shared an entertaining 0-0 draw with local rivals Colney Heath Reserves on Tuesday night.

Dean Seabrook, Jermaine Davey and Luke Thatcher all went close for the Blueboys but their efforts were either off target or saved by keeper Billy Barnes. Veteran captain Dave Townsend marshalled the Blueboys defence excellently as they successfully kept out the Colney Heath attack.

Lawrence Harkness thought he'd won the game for the Blueboys in the dying moments of the game but his header went narrowly past the post.

London Colney Reserves: Souland, Ames, Smithson, Butcher (Thomas), Townsend, Donnelly, Godden, Seabrook, J.Davey, Thatcher (Jaravaza), Harkness. Unused Subs: Ryan, M.Corran.

l The Reserves travelled to Broxbourne Borough on Saturday where they drew 1-1. Lawrence Hawkness scored the Blueboys goal in the first minute but Broxbourne hit back 16 minutes later.

London Colney Reserves: Souland, Corran, Gorrell, Ames, Townsend, Butcher (Tyler), Jaravaza, Woodcock, White (Ryan), Harkness (Godden), Thatcher. Unused Subs: Simmson, Donnelly.

l The A Team entertained London Road in the North Mid Herts Premier League holding on for a 4-3 win. Hadyn Connell's stunning strike put the Blueboys ahead before Tom Henshaw added a second. Dave Hagen's effort hit a post but thankfully for the home side Dave Othman was on hand to turn it home. The visitors pulled one back but another goal from Henshaw restored the Blueboys' three goal lead. London Road hit another two goals but it wasn't enough as London Colney held on.

l Luke Thatcher scored the only goal of the game as the Midweek team beat Harefield 1-0.