Gala open day on St George’s Day brings colour to Harpenden ahead of new season
- Credit: Archant
Fifty bowlers gathered at Harpenden Bowling Club on St George’s Day – to officially open the new outdoor season.
The Club’s flag was raised by this year’s President, Noel Roberts who also had the honour of bowling the first wood on the green.
That was followed by a game between a President’s team and a Captain’s team.
Despite the weather, the special rinks set up for the day saw some very exciting competition with some close and not so close finishes.
A spokesman said: “As the Opening Day Gala coincided with St George’s day, a special feature of this year’s event was the introduction of the colour red into elements of the normal all white clothing.
You may also want to watch:
“Altogether, a fun day was enjoyed with the prospect of some great bowls to come throughout the season.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public