Gala open day on St George’s Day brings colour to Harpenden ahead of new season
- Credit: Archant
Fifty bowlers gathered at Harpenden Bowling Club on St George’s Day – to officially open the new outdoor season.
The Club’s flag was raised by this year’s President, Noel Roberts who also had the honour of bowling the first wood on the green.
That was followed by a game between a President’s team and a Captain’s team.
Despite the weather, the special rinks set up for the day saw some very exciting competition with some close and not so close finishes.
A spokesman said: “As the Opening Day Gala coincided with St George’s day, a special feature of this year’s event was the introduction of the colour red into elements of the normal all white clothing.
You may also want to watch:
“Altogether, a fun day was enjoyed with the prospect of some great bowls to come throughout the season.”
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues