Funding boost for Harpenden footballer
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden footballer Anna Patten has been named as one of 30 young athletes to gain support from a new partnership between BNY Mellon, Newton and SportsAid.
The 15-year-old will received both financial and more support from BNY Mellon over the next 12 months.
She said: “Every Saturday during the season we have a match and half of these involve travelling away. Often these journeys can total up to 200 miles and the fuel can now be covered through this funding.”
BNY Mellon and Newton, a boutique of BNY Mellon Investment Management launched their new 2015 BNY Mellon Boat Races Charity Partnership in the UK which this year is with British charity SportsAid..
The 30 SportsAid athletes will be supported by BNY Mellon or Newton members of staff, who will develop the athletes’ media and PR skills, as well as attend health and nutrition workshops among many other initiatives.
SportsAid is dedicated to helping the next generation of British sports stars by giving them financial support and recognition during the critical early years of their careers. These athletes are typically aged 12 to 18 and are among the UK’s brightest hopes for future Olympic and Paralympic success.
At the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, almost two-thirds of the British team were former – and, in a few cases, current – recipients of SportsAid’s support, winning 20 Olympic and 27 Paralympic gold medals between them.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
Michael Cole-Fontayn, BNY Mellon’s EMEA Chairman, said: “We are absolutely thrilled to announce our new partnership with SportsAid, through which we will support 30 young athletes from a range of sporting disciplines over the next 12 months. Each of our fantastic athletes will be paired with a BNY Mellon or Newton buddy and will spend the next year showing them a thing or two about how to be a champion.”
To learn more about just how hard these young athletes, who receive support from SportsAid, work to make sure they stay at the top of their game, visit www.sportsaid.org.uk.